Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

hi-mount brake light in-op

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road
Default hi-mount brake light in-op

Hey All,

Noticed that my LED brake light array at the top of the rear hatch, does not light up when brakes are applied.

Where should I start my troubleshooting? I'd be surprised if that were on it's own fuse/circuit.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I have has a couple fail over the years. The first was due to a bad seal on the lens from the factory letting moisture in and corroding the circuit board. The second was the wire breaking just on the outside of the grommet where it comes through the rear window. the break in the wire was not noticeable because of the outer shielding, but the wire was unusually flexible in that one spot.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Diaita
I have has a couple fail over the years. The first was due to a bad seal on the lens from the factory letting moisture in and corroding the circuit board. The second was the wire breaking just on the outside of the grommet where it comes through the rear window. the break in the wire was not noticeable because of the outer shielding, but the wire was unusually flexible in that one spot.
Ah, interesting to hear. I have noticed moisture inside the light assembly, makes me wonder about the condition of my board inside now after reading of your experience. The wire harness that I can access seems solid enough still, nothing espicially indicating any breaks inside at least.

Will pull that apart and see what it looks like inside I guess. Thanks for sharing your findings on the various failures.