Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

HID Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road
Default HID Retrofit

As the title says, I am interested in doing an HID Retrofit on my 99 ZR2. I have never done this before so I am looking for a little insight on how others have done this. Can somebody point me towards some good info on this? I did find this thread which was pretty interesting but I don't know exactly what was involved in doing it.

What do you guys think, what is the best way to go about this, I dont want to just put a plug and play kit in the stock housing, I think it would be best to put a good projector set up in.

Thanks for any input

Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

There's another thread on S10 forum about retrofitting HID projectors into a set of ebay halogen projectors. That's probably the easiest way to do it.

There haven't been a lot of them that I've found. They all require cutting up the housing a fair bit and then reinforcing with fiberglass or jb weld or whatever else there is out there.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Yes look of hidp, lots of info to get you overwhelmed. Get an extra set of housings and projectors and get to work. FX-R's are a really good all around projector.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:25 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I love my FX-Rs, they are a bit large though.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:53 AM
KerbyG is on a distinguished road

95-97 Blazer Composite Retrofit HOW TO(Finished--PIC HEAVY))
Here's a link to my Retro I did on my '97, but I know over on the s10forum, there's plenty of How-To's for the 98+ style housings. But like Jamaroon said, the easiest solution for you would be throwing some mini H1's into some eBay projector housings.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Starting Member

ok, thanks for all the tips and help guys, as far as the ebay projector housings and h1's, is there a certain brand of HID that you guys recommend for that, and have any of you guys used the ebay houseings? I am curious as to the quality of them and the light output that I would get with the HID's in them.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

No HID for the ebay projector housings.. they are designed for halogens... Light output on them is terrible with halogens, worse with HID's.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:27 AM
KerbyG is on a distinguished road

I think he thought I was talking about H1 bulbs in the housings, which of course is a big no no. Swells, you need mini H1 projectors to replace the ****ty projectors that come in the eBay housings.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Starting Member

oh ok, so you guys are saying to get some ebay projector housing's and do a retro fit into those right?

I also came across this last night what are your guy's thoughts on it.

A couple other pages I found are this and this

Quick Reply: HID Retrofit