Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

I was looking(am) for a short and saw this. (Blazer 2004 2wd 4 door)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 11:42 AM
Beginning Member
Handy is on a distinguished road
Default I was looking(am) for a short and saw this. (Blazer 2004 2wd 4 door)

On the driver's side in the back seat, right behind the door. There is a screw that doesn't seem to go there with two wires that seem to have been cut or pulled out. I doubt it's the source of the short but it just seems odd.
My interior lights wont work because the fuse keeps blowing. So I'm pulling every thing out to try to find the short. My dad thought he found the short when he changed my heater core but it still blows. Maybe someone can give me some tips on that if possible.
Here are the pictures.

Last edited by Handy; 07-28-2021 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Adding pictures of what I'm talking about and some text. Plus more context.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:23 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I recently discovered some mystery splices into my wiring from before I purchased my Blazer 10 years ago. The splices were fine but the person who cut into the covering of the wires in the door jamb nicked several other wires and in the process almost cut one through that ended up disabling my driver side door. This is my tale of woe due to that one broken wire. LOL

https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...89/#post735615

Old 07-28-2021, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
I recently discovered some mystery splices into my wiring from before I purchased my Blazer 10 years ago. The splices were fine but the person who cut into the covering of the wires in the door jamb nicked several other wires and in the process almost cut one through that ended up disabling my driver side door. This is my tale of woe due to that one broken wire. LOL

https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...89/#post735615
Good thing you found it. The guy I bought my Blazer from says he tried looking for it but gave up and he had a full shop. Maybe he caused it, not telling.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:09 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

The pictures seem to show an attempt at creating a circuit ground for something.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:29 AM
Beginning Member

Are the wires supposed to missing or maybe they didn't get to that part yet?

Old 07-29-2021, 08:59 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Those connectors aren't original. they were added as a ground for something.

Which fuse blows and when does it blow? We will help diagnose.

Have you tried pushing the dome override button next to the headlamp switch? This button toggles the ability of interior lights to illuminate.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-29-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:29 AM
Beginning Member

The ctsy fuse blows right when I put it in. I noticed yesterday that the lights could be trying to come on because the door is open when I'm trying to put the fuse in.
I haven't tried pushing the dome override button yet. I'll try it.
Should I remove those wires?

Old 07-29-2021, 11:41 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

OK - I'll look up the wiring schematics for your courtesy lamps tonight and post them. Then we can begin diagnosis of what is blowing your fuse.

The connectors in the photo I woudn't worry about removing them. But you can if you want. They are not doing anything at all.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, I have an update. Now the fuse isn't blowing.
I had the instrument panel out[more on this in a bit], disconnected the door light sensor thing[in the door], the radio, pretty much everything in the front of the car.
I plugged them in one at a time and the fuse didn't blow.

The panel, if that's the right name, I swapped out because of a issue I was having with the flickering in it plus it would give vague readings. I went to a junkyard and pulled that
from a Jimmy.
I suspect that's the problem but I didn't yet reconnect the dome light and the back light by the rear gate which I also think could have been an issue giving the wires.
They don't look cut or anything, just bent a little.

EDIT:
Maybe you don't have to find the wiring schematics but maybe it'll help in the future.

It was the instrument panel. I put everything back together and now the lights in the front, back and bottom of the passenger seat comes on. Now I'm only down to two problems with this Blazer.
The driver side floor light and the cigar lighter assembly.
I don't know where to put the driver side floor light holder[?] and I need an electrical connector for the cigar lighter to put it back in some how. Google was of little to no help in any of that.
I appreciate the help guys.

Last edited by Handy; 07-29-2021 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem!