Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

IDEA - Audi-Style Headlight Lighting on Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 PM
jtbwatson is on a distinguished road
Default IDEA - Audi-Style Headlight Lighting on Tail lights

We're all familiar with the Audi style headlights, right? You know, the ones seen here:

Well, after seeing kiwiblazer's ingenious idea with his tail lights, I became inspired to look into it further.

I want to do what he did and put a red lightup strip around the very edge and then put an amber/orange one directly inside of that to indicate turning. It seems like wiring would be easy, as it'd just have to be connected to the turn signal wire (i think) and then the brake wiring for the red strip.

Anyways, anybody want to embark on this journey with me? I'm trying to find led strips that mimic that of the Audi pictured above (almost looking like neon) but can't find any. Will do some more searching.

Attached Thumbnails IDEA - Audi-Style Headlight Lighting on Tail lights-2012_audi_a5_24_1280x960.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

The problem is that the brake lights are tied into the turn signal lights. So when you hit the brakes, the amber sections would light up. You would have to tap into the trailer wiring to get them to work correctly.

As for leds, look at COB leds. They look almost exactly how you would want them to look for the audi style.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM
jtbwatson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thogert
The problem is that the brake lights are tied into the turn signal lights. So when you hit the brakes, the amber sections would light up. You would have to tap into the trailer wiring to get them to work correctly.

As for leds, look at COB leds. They look almost exactly how you would want them to look for the audi style.
There's not a separate wire for the turn signal? Does that mean that the flashing signal is sent from the front of the vehicle?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM
KerbyG is on a distinguished road

I can't remember how the Brazil tails are wired up, but I know making a harness to utilize the separate amber marker is required for them to work properly. There's a write up on how to make them work somewhere on here, or s10forum. But if you have a USDM blazer, then you'll have 2 dual filament bulbs with 3 wires on the back, one being your parking light lead, one that functions as your brak AND turn indicator, and one for ground. You could also take a series of diodes and a resistor to dim the light for parkers, and go full brightness when the brakes are applied and/or signal on. I did that with the LED rings on my spyder tail lights