Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
All of the screws go up from the bottom, and the column tilt lever pulls straight out to remove it. If you've got the bottom half off, seems like the top just pulls off. I feel your back pain

The biggest problem is a neck injury I got a couple of years back. The top cover is loose on the left side but solidly mounted on the right. I could break it and get it off that way but the local salvage yard has started a cover charge just to spend money there. If it isn't raining the next time I can get out there, I'll drop the shift lever to low range and see if that clears the screw.

If all else fails, I'll take a big pair of slip joint pliers to it. It WILL come off.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sure wish my rememberer worked better.... there might be a screw by the lock cylinder. Been 2 years since I did the last one.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

When you get the panels off, you'll see the yellow wires and connectors. You'll be near them, but you don't need to disconnect them. If you're concerned about the air bag cramping your style, disconnect the battery.
You know they have supplemental power dont you? Just in case a collision disconects the battery some way there is reserve power. Might just be a big hi fi size cap.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Good call! The DERM, (Diagnostic Energy Reserve Module) is located behind the passenger side kick panel. It has two 12 pin connectors.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Starting Member

Well, I pulled the steering wheel to give myself more room. Sakes, I've worked on Mercedes SLs and Rolls Royces that weren't this aggravating. What looked like a screw holding the turn signal switch in was actually one of the cover screws. I couldn't find the other one so I jerked the snot out of it and broke it off. I couldn't see that last screw until I broke it off. At least I can get the switch out now. After buying a new E4 internal socket. I was getting really annoyed and since I don't need to drive it to work tomorrow, I came inside to let it sit until tomorrow. I wonder what's on TV.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM

I don't recall having to remove the steering wheel, (I'd remember that) but it may have been a different year. On 98 I know for sure it doesn't have to come off.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Sure wish my rememberer worked better.... there might be a screw by the lock cylinder. Been 2 years since I did the last one.
I am drunk and read "sure wish my rememberer worked better" PEREFCTLY... that scares me.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Starting Member

I don't recall having to remove the steering wheel, (I'd remember that) but it may have been a different year. On 98 I know for sure it doesn't have to come off.

I didn't really have to remove it, but it did give me a lot more room to get my fa.....er.....well endowed body under the dash. Had I seen the screws, I could have removed the covers without taking the steering wheel off. At least it's going back together fairly easy. I still cringe when I mess with the air bags. Only GM would make the air bags this irritating to remove.