Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

I'm having charging issues.. I think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road
Default I'm having charging issues.. I think?

My alternator went out last year. And it drained my battery, leaving my stranded. So after I got the truck towed. I bought a used alt from the salvage yard. To my surprise it was a reman'd alt. I had it tested before I put it on, and I also bought a new battery(the old one was old anyways). But my problem seems to slowly be getting worse...
My blazer has always took forever to start up. It will turn over fine (just acts like the fuel pump is slow). And it always starts and is consitent with it. But lately it seem like after it starts my alt is playing "catch up" after it starts. My gauge drops down to quarter and slowly climbs back up to 14volts. And if I start, and immediately roll all the windows down they go slow and the volt gauge drops more. Or... the other instance. If I start it up and put it in reverse and back up and go to drive and take off... It kinda stumbles when I give it light throttle. But if I wait for that alt to "catch up" It runs fine. Do you guys think it's just the alt going bad? I had the battery and battery tray out today to check for corrosion and bad connections (everything looked good). But that's all I got done for today.
I'm trying to get this figured out before I install some stereo equipment (nothing big) But I'm worried with the problem peeking around the corner it will cause major headache's. I thought about getting a 1-wire high amp alt to put in but I didn't know if it'd cause issues with the ECM. I'm going to look into the AD244 swap that came up when using search trying to figure out my problem.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you need a new alternator, I'm not familiar with the swap however. IMO, get that taken care of before adding more drain on the system. Its always a roll of the dice at the pick and pull lol.