Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

I'm new, please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM
sgtbuzzcut is on a distinguished road
Cool I'm new, please help

I have a 98 Blazer, the other day I went out to get in to go somewhere and before I even put the key in the ignition all the dash lights were on. After I started it, the lights went out but the blue hi-beam indicator stayed on even without the lights on. Also the digital displays for the gear selector ( P,R,N,D,L) and the odometer flickers on and off randomly. A coworker of mine said it sounds like a bad ground, but then I heard somebody else say that there are multiple grounds behind the dash that could be causing it too. I really don't want to rip the whole dash apart if I don't have to. Also, not sure if this is related or not (i think it is cuz it seems like an electrical issue too) but the engine occasionally will cut out momentarily, tach drops almost to zero then it picks up and runs fine. That part with the motor only seems to happen at low speeds, once you get up to highway speed its fine. Please Help!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A bad ground wouldn't cause your dash lights to illuminate without the key in the ignition. About the only thing I can think of that would cause this would be a faulty ignition switch where the contacts fused together

Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 PM
sgtbuzzcut is on a distinguished road

ok, i can see that, as to the cutting out problem i mentioned, do you think the ignition switch could be causing that too? when it happens the blazer will "chug" almost as if you're trying to take off in 2nd gear on a stick shift truck. i asked a mechanic at the local dealer and he said if I'm losing power to the tranny that it goes into what they call "limp home mode" and would be stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear