Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Intermittent low beam headlamp fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:20 AM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road
Default Intermittent low beam headlamp fix

Im writing this in case anyone runs into the same issue i was having.

Since i bought my blazer ive had issues with my low beam headlights working about 90% of the time but randomly cutting out. The high-beams work fine and the parking lights and turn signals work fine. It was isolated to both of the low beams. I checked all of the normal stuff fuses, relays, headlamp switch, multi function switch. All of those were working properly. I even traced every ground i could find to make sure they were good. When i turned the headlamp switch on i could even feel the low beam relay clicking so i figured the switch and power wires were good.

In a last ditch effort before tracing individual wires I just turned the low beams on and started wiggling different wire harnesses around. when i moved the rear harness on the under hood fuse block my low beam suddenly came on. Then i wiggled it again and they turned off. Viola i finally found the source.
I unbolted the fuse block and removed the big rear plug. Then i removed the plastic cover to expose all of the pins. Pin #5 was pulled slightly out of the plug and a little crispy. So i repaired the pin and soldered the wire to ensure good contact. When i reinstalled everything my low beams came right on and worked just like they should.

I just hope this can help save someone else from chasing their tail in the future.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:02 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Good job on finding the fault and thanks for posting for others!

Old 11-12-2017, 03:25 AM
Beginning Member
COGMC is on a distinguished road

This has been haunting me for over a decade... hopefully your fix is the ticket! Thank you!