Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

LED dash cluster lighting help! (on 99" blazer)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Bud21790 is on a distinguished road
Default LED dash cluster lighting help! (on 99" blazer)

I know this is a frequent question asked but no one seems to be able to answer directly for the 99' year blazer. So I have a few questions, I'm looking to just replace my intrument cluster lights with LED lights.Will someone please tell me what i will need, and the steps to do this on a 99' before I go tearing in there with no clue. On the 99' is there any soldering to be done or remove? how many lights will I need (i believe there is 6) is that correct? and what type 194's? anyone with any information on this (on a 99') would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bud21790
I know this is a frequent question asked but no one seems to be able to answer directly for the 99' year blazer. So I have a few questions, I'm looking to just replace my intrument cluster lights with LED lights.Will someone please tell me what i will need, and the steps to do this on a 99' before I go tearing in there with no clue. On the 99' is there any soldering to be done or remove? how many lights will I need (i believe there is 6) is that correct? and what type 194's? anyone with any information on this (on a 99') would be greatly appreciated. thank you
I recently put red leds in my cluster. You will need 6 194 bulbs. no soldering, You just have to bend the tabs on the old bulbs to remove and on the new led bulbs to install. You will see when you take them out of the cluster.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

The stock bulbs in the Blazer are almost always soldered into the sockets that twist into the gauges. PJ is right, you need 6 #194 bulbs, but you will also need the twist-lock sockets for them.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i ordered everything that i needed from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS. they had everything and even a kit for the back of the instrument panel for the twist locks, so i thought that i was in business...but no. the twist locks that they sent worked, but nothing like stock. the stock ones are not a 90degree offset, and the ones that SBL's sent were. i got them installed, but i know that i am going to have to pull it apart again when they start to fall out. as they are now they are barely in there and barely making a connection. but its WAAAY better than stock.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You mean these?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 AM

I didnt need the sockets, Its a little time consuming but you can reuse the factory sockets. I reused mine.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Bud21790 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thogert
The stock bulbs in the Blazer are almost always soldered into the sockets that twist into the gauges. PJ is right, you need 6 #194 bulbs, but you will also need the twist-lock sockets for them.
Thank for the reply I was wondering if you could walk me through taking apart that dash and instrument panel to do this and installation process..ect., I'm new to taking apart vehicals and even the jargon and all and dont want to get something apart that i dont know how to fix. Where should I be looking for the screws that hold on the dash how many are there and ect... thank you

Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 AM
BF Veteran

I'm not really familiar enough with the 98+ years dash to help you take it apart over the internet. I've pulled my friends dash apart about 5 times, (an 03) but it has been over the years, so I can't recount exactly which things need to be done in what order. Maybe someone with one can help you there.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 AM

First you remove the 2 7mm screws from the panel where your knees hit, right below the steering column. Then lightly pull that down and remove the 2 7mm screws behind the panel you just pulled down.
Then there is another 7mm screw upside down in the cluster right before the plastic cover for the needles.
After all the 7mm's are removed than you need to turn the ignition to run but do not start the engine. after that is done put the tranny in "1".
Then lightly pull on the edges of the whole bezel and it should come off a few inches. When its forward a bit unplug the headlight switch, 4wd selector and rear hatch/wiper switch. Than the whole bezel should pull off.
Once that is removed there is 4 7mm screws holding the cluster in, remove them and unplug the cluster and its out. to reinstall just do /\/\/\/\ in reverse order.