Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

LED Headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:08 AM
Beginning Member
gman4q2 is on a distinguished road
Default LED Headlights.

I recently replace my low beam bulbs with LED's and am thoroughly satisfied with how bright and white they are, even compared to the high beams which are yellow by comparison. I would like to replace the highs with LED's but I seem to remember a post where it says its not recommended due to the DRL. I did a search but could not find that specific post. Any info on if this is true or not would be appreciated.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:37 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

I disabled my DRLs by bending back a pin (#86 I think?) on the under hood DRL relay. I put a piece of electrical tape over the pin to make sure it doesn't ground out on anything.

With automatic lights, you'll have to add an resistor to the sensor on the right dash speaker grate. 2.2 ohm for years '99+.

Now for LEDs in all your light sockets, I modded the flasher relay behind the glove box....detached a small circuit, info is in these threads somewhere. Search "flash relay mod". Only downside is, you won't have the double-time light and clicking noise when a light is out, so you just have to visually inspect from time to time.
You can also buy an LED specific flasher relay that will solve the "light out" issue, but the mod is free.

That is all I've done, and I have LEDs in every light socket....except under the hood. I will have to swap that one now.

Edit: I will add that the DRLs and highbeams share the same bulb, so I could never get my LEDs or HIDs to work on high with them on.