Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Locks unlocking/locking all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:23 PM
exorotika is on a distinguished road
Default Locks unlocking/locking all of a sudden

So, I get into my truck today after work. We had heavy rain and I have a leak in my seal on my passenger side door, the inside of the door was pretty wet. (can't see any problem with the seal or why it's leaking - anyways not the problem at hand persay). I'm thinking this might have something to do with what is going on - not sure.

My locks are unlocking/locking constantly. I do have an alarm and even with setting it on/off it doesn't correct my doors from constantly making the sound it does when you drive a little way and they automatically lock. The lock isn't visually going up/down and locking/unlocking but the sound is persistant and you hear both doors consistently going on/off.

I drove home about 30 minutes, it was doing it the entirety of the time. I stop to pick up my daughter, it's still doing it. Stop at a garage to see if they have time to look at it - they don't, not for 2 weeks out.

I get in, drive home and IT STOPS.

Could it be a shortage in the wiring caused by the rain getting through the seal and into the truck/door?

Is there a fuse I can pull to disable the automatic door locks?
I've been told to pull the battery but I have an alarm and it'll go off when I reconnect the battery which don't really want to have to do..

Right now I've put a tarp over that door to prevent anymore rain, it's stopped unlocking and locking but haven't done anything else in case it starts again.

Any input or ideas? I plan on calling some shops tomorrow to see what can be done..

Thanks in advance

Sorry: It's a 2001 Chevy zR2 Blazer 4x4

Last edited by exorotika; 01-22-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: had to ad model and type of vechile
Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i had this problem in my pick up shortly after i bought it. so first question, how old is the alarm that you had put in?
they do fail after enough time has gone by. if the alarm was installed shortly after the truck was new, i.e. 2001/2002, it could be time to replace it. my pick up did the same thing and once i pulled the alarm box out, no more problems. just a thought from past experience.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 AM
exorotika is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Twip
i had this problem in my pick up shortly after i bought it. so first question, how old is the alarm that you had put in?<br />
they do fail after enough time has gone by. if the alarm was installed shortly after the truck was new, i.e. 2001/2002, it could be time to replace it. my pick up did the same thing and once i pulled the alarm box out, no more problems. just a thought from past experience.
<br />
<br />
It is fairly new, about 3 years old now. No longer live in the state(arizona) where I had it installed, am in Hawaii now or I'd have the same place look it over. Could the wires have corroded within that time period due to the new found moisture?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

There is a fuse in the panel on the drivers side dash

Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

I had a simalar problem when I bought my jimmy..
I had a after market alarm, and would auto lock the doors
Well...one day it locked me out...and I was pissed...
Got home finally. And removed all that after market
Junk...never another problem...

Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member
Bildo V. is on a distinguished road

i'm not sure if this is related, but i also had a very similar issue with mine, as you all well know the hinge pins went in my driver door (passenger too), well one night while i was out, driving as i usually do for work the door dropped and caught the panel and ripped and broke it all apart so i pulled it off leaving the control harness exposed to the moisture as the door doesn't quite seal right after enough rain had collected in the panel control board it had caused the controls to malfunction completely (mirror controls windows locks). all i simply did was wrap it up to keep out moisture and not a lick of trouble since, not to mention i zipped tied the controls to the door to reorient them so moisture couldn't get on the wires.