Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Looking for HID opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Phillepe is on a distinguished road

Wow, looks great!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Anubis8472 is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that all aftermarket HID's are illegal.
If you do not use a proper projector lense you are not only more likly to be ticketed, but you are also an idiot.

That said, if you want to do it properly the best place to check out is theretrofitsource.com they've got a large selection of projectors and HID kits. Quality at good prices.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Park is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Anubis8472
Keep in mind that all aftermarket HID's are illegal.
This is new to me. Here in minnesota I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for the style of lights only the color of lights. I know many laws vary from state to state, but a certin type of light illegal seems a bit out there to me.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Park
This is new to me. Here in minnesota I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for the style of lights only the color of lights. I know many laws vary from state to state, but a certin type of light illegal seems a bit out there to me.

Hid retrofits are illegal cause the lighting isn't dot approved. It hasn't passed any color or glare safety tests. On the road as long as your not running any stupid color besides white and/or blinding drivers with glare you should be fine. If you have safety inspections and you get a good inspector doing his job hid retrofit will not pass.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Beginning Member
justinlikeewhoaa is an unknown quantity at this point

i got mine from amazon.com 35$ shipped i dont have a picture of my blazer but have the same sets in my thunderbird top is 6000k bottom is 3200k

also have a pic of 6k on the bottom i got borred of the yellow lol

Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 AM
Park is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by neo71665
Hid retrofits are illegal cause the lighting isn't dot approved. It hasn't passed any color or glare safety tests. On the road as long as your not running any stupid color besides white and/or blinding drivers with glare you should be fine. If you have safety inspections and you get a good inspector doing his job hid retrofit will not pass.
Thanks for the quick answer. This just makes me more happy to live in minnesota, no safety or emisson checks. On another happy note now that I finely got some money I was waiting for i'll be ordering my HIDs monday. A few days behind what I wanted but can't control everything. Thank you every one for their opinions and help.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I hate it when people are all uppity about hid retrofits and how they are so much better than anyone that didn't do a 'proper' projector retrofit. Get off your high horse. Clearly if you get flashed more than once a month, you should at the very least, re-aim them and if that doesn't work, go back to halogens. But I don't want to hear how much better you are because you did it right.

End rant.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:25 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

A question was asked and simply answered so maybe you can get off your high horse. At the end of the day its still illegal and if he did have inspections it wouldn't pass, I didn't sugar coat it for or against. Would you rather somebody lie and find out the hard way with a ticket or failed inspection?

You want to cross that road I am pro hid retrofits when indeed done correct. Having night blindness its painful as hell when the idiot in the honda with cheap hids not aimed correctly pass me at night. Its those idiots and stuff like hockey puck lifts, having tires sticking completly out from under the body, dragging frame on a crowded road, blowing train horns in crowded areas that give the anti car mod crowds ground to stand on. You then get highly stupid laws restricting what we can and can't do. No need shooting ourself in the foot and give them a reason to ban anything else. If you can't do it correct then why do it at all?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by neo71665
A question was asked and simply answered so maybe you can get off your high horse. At the end of the day its still illegal and if he did have inspections it wouldn't pass, I didn't sugar coat it for or against. Would you rather somebody lie and find out the hard way with a ticket or failed inspection?
I suspect he was talking about the poster who called everyone idiots. Originally, anyway

Quick Reply: Looking for HID opinions