Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Major wiring problem please help asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:20 AM
Beginning Member
Red-blazer99 is on a distinguished road

There's the manual for it didn't help much yet see anything important?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
mars-22.pdf (493.9 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Beginning Member

The worst part and possibly the most useful piece of info is that when I just cut all the wires and ripped out all the wires that weren't factory it completely fixed it...as in I could turn the high beam on without it cutting out the motor or blowin the fuse, then I tried to use the high beams later that night and the problem came back....so confused, I know it's a simple **** but I've looked everywhere.

another thing is that the tan and tan with red stripe wire were burnt on the old multi switch not the new one and when I take it out after it blows the fuse there isn't any visable damage so I don't know about that one.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:24 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Seems that it works it's way into the electrical system by tapping into various places.

Somehow I think I would start looking from the ignition switch onwards.
Seems to be related to whatever you do at the steering column. Not necessarily the place where two wires are damaged but I would start out there to follow all the wires from the ignition lock AND the light switch.

Can be a couple of things as simple as pinched cables when mounting a cover. Had something similar on a radio installation. The rear of the radio case had rubbed through the insulation and every time you pushed just a bit too much on a key it made contact with the floor and shorted out.
Could be something similar in your Blazer.

I'd make sure all the cables are intact and not damaged.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:56 PM
Beginning Member

I've gone through the ignition switch wiring and repaired there cuts with solder, properly...as well as replaced the multi function switch...the alternator reads good on a multimeter, but it whins, I suspect the bearing going bad can I live without? I switch out the alternator to see if it was the problem previously and it didn't do anything but make it start up slightly better

Old 02-02-2019, 05:04 PM
Beginning Member

Found the short! The hard way, bypassed the fuse and waited for smoke. Tore out all that was burnt and wrapped the wire with 3m electrical tape. Now the rear passenger side blinker is out, checked the bulb and wiring and it's good so I'm gonna go with when I bypassed the fuse it also shorted something inside the multifunction switch. Will buy a new one and let y'all know what happens...if anyone has input on the matter please to bud in.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:16 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Red-blazer99
Found the short! The hard way, bypassed the fuse and waited for smoke. Tore out all that was burnt and wrapped the wire with 3m electrical tape. Now the rear passenger side blinker is out, checked the bulb and wiring and it's good so I'm gonna go with when I bypassed the fuse it also shorted something inside the multifunction switch. Will buy a new one and let y'all know what happens...if anyone has input on the matter please to bud in.
Yeah! From what you've posted, you know the importance of remaking those connections a good as possible so you don't have ever worry about them.

Good Luck!