Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

overhead console from temp/dir. to trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 AM
Beginning Member
chop is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
actually i found that you dont need the harness i think....check this site out.

http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=69109

has wiring info for installs with no previous overhead unit.

oh, by the way both units work, wire was grounding out.
It would be a real shame if you would send it all the way to Croatia and then i realize i cant install it without harness, thats why i would like to play it safe and get all the parts i need from start.
Thanks for considering of shipping it though, most people would send to US only.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Starting Member
Jonas is on a distinguished road
Default re

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
headliner stayed in place..i just snaked the wire thru at the rearview mirror and across the top of windshield and tucked it in...the pillar trim i did have to pull back some and feed it thru...watch the trim clips thats what nailed me the first time. cut the wire and grounded it out.
Yo okay.

I have 1 of the old computers and 1 new.
im going to cut a hole in my headliner when theres warmer outside and see what cables i got up there. my 97 blazer came without the console but i got one off ebay.
I figured, even if i got 0 cables up there i can still splice into the light and get power for the compas and lights

i had the cables out to the grill where the temp sensor sits, a dummy connector was sitting there but i got the temp sensor with my console.
Now i just hope that the rest of the harness is up in the roof.

The outside temp sensor, is it used for anything else ?
Is there another reason the cables existed under the hood for that one if not for the console ?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:11 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

sorry cant help you on the harness being out there like that.
only know enough to get in trouble....if i had to guess i would say no...it is only for the temp sensor base on what i read..but again - not a pro.

chop:
found out mine wont work in anything older than 98 i think...has something to do with obd systems i guess.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:34 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jonas
Yo okay.

I have 1 of the old computers and 1 new.
im going to cut a hole in my headliner when theres warmer outside and see what cables i got up there. my 97 blazer came without the console but i got one off ebay.
I figured, even if i got 0 cables up there i can still splice into the light and get power for the compas and lights

i had the cables out to the grill where the temp sensor sits, a dummy connector was sitting there but i got the temp sensor with my console.
Now i just hope that the rest of the harness is up in the roof.

The outside temp sensor, is it used for anything else ?
Is there another reason the cables existed under the hood for that one if not for the console ?

Ok, If you have the dummy connector outside your in good shape. All you have to do is remove the dummy connector and put in the temp unit. As far as the inside is concerned, your in super shape too.. If your lucky enough to the the whole wiring harness its plug and play for you. Thats the good news. Now for the bad, your gonna have to take your dash apart. Drop the lower valance panels, drop the streering wheel. Then remove the speedometer cluster, take out the defroster vent up top and the upper speaker grilles. Now take out all the screws you can see, there are 2 ten MM bolts under the dash one on each side. What you want to do is roll the dash forward till you can see the connector. Its parallel with the fuse box on the 95-97's, just behind the dash under the vent, its very tight to get to. But if you have the whole harness just unplug your old harness and plug in the new one and run it up the A pillar and over to the center underneath the headliner. If you got the shorty style you can mount it easily. I got the long one and had to take out the dome light as it comes with one. You will have to cut a couple of holes in the headliner to allow room for the lights if you have the long console.

That being said, I learned the hard way today that the 98+ OHC's will not work with 95-97's. After about 30 seconds it goes to --. so pick the one that corresponds with your truck. 95-97 or the 98+ ones. Any questions please let me know.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Starting Member
Default Hi

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
Ok, If you have the dummy connector outside your in good shape. All you have to do is remove the dummy connector and put in the temp unit. As far as the inside is concerned, your in super shape too.. If your lucky enough to the the whole wiring harness its plug and play for you. Thats the good news. Now for the bad, your gonna have to take your dash apart. Drop the lower valance panels, drop the streering wheel. Then remove the speedometer cluster, take out the defroster vent up top and the upper speaker grilles. Now take out all the screws you can see, there are 2 ten MM bolts under the dash one on each side. What you want to do is roll the dash forward till you can see the connector. Its parallel with the fuse box on the 95-97's, just behind the dash under the vent, its very tight to get to. But if you have the whole harness just unplug your old harness and plug in the new one and run it up the A pillar and over to the center underneath the headliner. If you got the shorty style you can mount it easily. I got the long one and had to take out the dome light as it comes with one. You will have to cut a couple of holes in the headliner to allow room for the lights if you have the long console.

That being said, I learned the hard way today that the 98+ OHC's will not work with 95-97's. After about 30 seconds it goes to --. so pick the one that corresponds with your truck. 95-97 or the 98+ ones. Any questions please let me know.
Thanks again for verry good info 96Blazernut.
Man, why would they pull the cables up there and not connect the plug unnder the dash?

Yeah i replaced the dummy with the temp sensor i got from the yard.
Now lets hope the wires are up there.

If not, the once that are missing are the temp, and the vss one ?

rest of the vires i can get from the lamps already in place up there..

Old 03-06-2010, 07:20 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Trucks that did not have the DIC had the lights in the rearview mirror like mine did. If you happen to get the complete harness all the wiring is there. Just run it down the A-Pillar and plug it in. I took and using a volt meter spliced in the lights in the rearview mirror, now I have 6 reading lights. The power for the overhhead lights comes from the plug in the dash.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
Trucks that did not have the DIC had the lights in the rearview mirror like mine did. If you happen to get the complete harness all the wiring is there. Just run it down the A-Pillar and plug it in. I took and using a volt meter spliced in the lights in the rearview mirror, now I have 6 reading lights. The power for the overhhead lights comes from the plug in the dash.
Im not able to get the complete harness, the guy that sent me the console from the yard said it was a 3 hour job to get it loose, and that i would have to pay hour tax for that job....

If i get the courage to cut up my roof,i will only use the compass and reading lights i guess..

I have the sunroof and damn it looks tight to fit the dic up there..

Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Starting Member

For people in need of the wire harness:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

this guy sells them for $49.99. I also asked and he can ship to other countries then USA.

I dont know if I think the price is fair, its possible to just run bare cables down to the connector behind the dash and splice into the connector for a couple of bucks...

But someone might find this useful.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Beginning Member
chop is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link Jonas.
I might just order the whole OH console from him.
I could get the one with garage door opener but im not sure if it is possible to hook it up in my 95 blazer. Any thoughts?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by chop
Thanks for the link Jonas.
I might just order the whole OH console from him.
I could get the one with garage door opener but im not sure if it is possible to hook it up in my 95 blazer. Any thoughts?
What ive seen the homelink transmitter, only needs power and and the only programming it needs can be done with the buttons in the console. if you get the full console with wire harness i dont see why it would not work.

Quick Reply: overhead console from temp/dir. to trip