Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

overhead display upgade problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Question overhead display upgade problem

i decided to upgrade my overhead display today, the install was going into my 1996 blazer the donor console and harness came from a 97 bravada, the first 6 wires are all the same color no problem there, in the overhead display upgrade thread said i would be left with 1 wire i was left with 2? i hooked the purple wire from the obd 2 port up to the 1 wire remaining i wanna say it was purple also, then i had a orange wire left over that i didnt hook up to anything, the display works as far as the compass, when i first start the truck everything works right the temp and all the rest of the info, but after about 5 seconds i am left with just dashes "--" <-----that everywhere except the direction i am going, can anyone tell me why it works for a few seconds then just goes to dashes, i am pretty confused here, i know the console it self worked fine in my bravada. someone please let me know know how it works then just quits

Old 03-12-2011, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

did you use this write up

https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighting-electrical-52/overhead-console-temp-dir-trip-41368/

also when i did mine i also had this problem, turned out one of the wires was grounding on the front pillar, i clipped the wire when i put the trim back on.

let me know if this helps.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Starting Member

no i did not see that thread, thanks alot i should be able to figure out my problem now thanks again buddy...and thanks for the quick response!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

no problem, glad to help

Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 AM
Beginning Member
powerd_byburritoz is on a distinguished road

hey i put a 95 silverado overhead console on my 84 k5 blazer..my question is is the temp/compass unit self contained? meaning, can i just hook up wires to my battery and they will operate? or is info being sent to the display unit?

Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Starting Member
Angry

i checked the wires today the first 6 are hooked up color to color, i was left with a purple wire and a orange wire, i hooked the purple up to the purple wire on the obd II port, then i hooked my orange wire up to the orange wire on the map lights and still the same problem i am so confused as of what the problem is, i checked all the connections, no pinched wires at all, like i said it works but only for a few seconds this is very confusing to me....if anyone out there can solve this issue for me i would be forever thankfull. i cant understand how with all the wires hooked up correct i still have the same problem please someone help me figure this out, i want my info center i dont wanna have to switch back to just the temp/compass setup i hate that setup, the info center is so much better and i am so close to having it done right just have -- instead of the right info, thanks in advance for any input you all might have for me.......all i want is my info center is that 2 much to ask<-----lol

Last edited by LowLife; 03-14-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Starting Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by powerd_byburritoz
hey i put a 95 silverado overhead console on my 84 k5 blazer..my question is is the temp/compass unit self contained? meaning, can i just hook up wires to my battery and they will operate? or is info being sent to the display unit?
i am pretty sure u would need the computer from the donor truck to supply the consoles needs, just have to power to the computer then run the right wires up to the console and you would be good

Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Beginning Member
powerd_byburritoz is on a distinguished road

oh man thats more work than i want to do..thanks ill have to think this over haha

Old 03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Starting Member

well i guess nobody knows why i have -- instead the right info, i guess im gonna wait 1 more day and go swap the info center out for the stock temp/compass setup it came with