Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Panel/switch lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 PM
melliferal is on a distinguished road
Default Panel/switch lights

Okay, by this point in my restoration project I've gotten new bulbs for all the normally-replaceable interior lights (except that darn ashtray bulb, which I still can't figure out how to get at).

Now it's time to deal with the panel lights - I know there's two I've got to replace for certain, one in the cluster and one in the A/C control. I'm pretty sure I have a handle on what those jobs will entail.

What I want to know is, what other switches on the panel and doors are supposed to be illuminated? Remember this is the 95-97 edition.

On both front doors I have the power window button(s) and the door lock switch - illuminated. On the driver's door I have the power window lockout switch and the mirror switch which are not illuminated. I have two rear doors with power window switches, also NOT illuminated. Are any of them supposed to be?

On the left side of the dash, in the switch cluster I have a rear window wiper switch whose icon illuminates; I have a rear hatch button that does not, a rear defog switch that does not (although when it's on the tiny amber light in the corner does come on), and the headlight/park lamp switch and dimmer switch that do not. Should any of these illuminate with the rest of the panel when the lights are on?

Also as an aside - the door switch lights do not dim/brighten with the rest of the panel lights via the dimmer switch, but seem to have a fixed brightness. Is that the way it's supposed to be or should the dimmer control them too?

And finally, for the above items that aren't illuminated but should be - are those lamps replaceable and are the replacements available? Or will I basically have to get new switches if I want them lit up?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:48 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Check the link in my sig for the bulbs you are looking for. They are all led in that link, but they should tell you what kind you need if you want incandescent.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
melliferal is on a distinguished road

Nah, I'm pretty much sold on converting to all LED's; I have been for a little while, but today finally sealed it. After having to drive for around 4 and a half hours today with my lights on the whole way due to weather, I noticed how warm my light switch and dimmer switch were. I guess all the lighting voltage goes through those switches? Yeah, I'm all for cutting back the power draw if just four hours on gets the switches that warm.

One thing I notice missing in your list - the bulb for the power mirror switch. Is it not illuminated too? It looks like it should be.

At any rate, thanks for the help.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:56 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

The mirror switch on mine (95) was supposed to be illuminated by 2 of what looked like the mini-mag light bulbs with some blue film on them. I never did find a specific replacement # for them, and never bothered with them on mine. If you do find a # for them, let me know and I'll update the list.