Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Question on cranking engine over

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Im going to see if I can get a pic of these wires out of camera to see if thse go to the battery or altenator.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 PM

Ok If you see the 2 red wires into 1 terminal I hooked up 12 volts positive and a 12 volt ground.With the key shut off my lights,security system and dash lights all came on.Now should these be hooked up to the battery or altenator?If its the battery they wont reach.

Attached Thumbnails Question on cranking engine over-jimmy-harness.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Those are two of the fusible links that go to the alternator, should be one more around there somewhere.

EDIT: They both appear to be the same gauge wire, if that's right, one of them goes to battery positive and the other goes to the junction block. The third, (smaller gauge) wire, the one that's missing, goes to the starter relay, which I believe is visible on the firewall.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-20-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 AM

Im almost certain the go to the altenator,That part of the harness will not move any further forward.I tryed.I put the altenator on the bracket and they barely reach the altenator cause the bracket for it is disconnectd from the engine.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Default Good news

Got the engine to crankover
The 2 wrie terminal isnt going to the batery unless I lengthen it.Theres noway now how it will reach.Im assuming it goes with the other wire to the altenator.Anyways with power to it I can go inside with the key and turn the engine over.I was also right about the nuetral safety switch not being plugged in.Im still confused why this wire if its supposed to be on the battery why it wont reach?I tryed steching the harness and it pulled the elctrical connection my fuel injection unit.It 6 inches short of the battery.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The wires in your image go to the rear of the alternator, not the battery. There is one more wire that also attaches to the alternator.

My "edit" was not clear, sorry... the other end of one of those goes to the battery positive. The other end of the other wire goes to the junction block.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Smile

Ok that would make sense I had the 2 of them in my hand today. Thanks Capatain.Nice to finaly make some progress.Now theres a small groundwire that comes from coresupport goes to the negative side.Keeps coming apart so Im going soilder it and then wrap with electrical tape.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 04-21-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Beginning Member
greencactus3 is on a distinguished road

if it keeps coming apart, replace it. the wire is mot likely corroded pretty bad

Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Naw its not that,theres a connector one of those kind that you crimp 2 wires together.The yellow crimper just isnt holding the wires.I have to replace that or like soilder them together.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

solder and heat shrink, electrical tape sucks.

Quick Reply: Question on cranking engine over