Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Rear lift glass release button on hatch - HOW TO REPAIR -

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:28 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

You just pull back the interior tailgate panel right above the bump in the middle
where the latch is. There are no screws or bolts in that area, you can safely pull it back
about 2 inches. Then you'll have to stuck your finger in and push down the release bar.

When you get your finger back there, you should be able to feel for the part that need to
be pushed down. When that part is pushed down, the glass has been unlocked.

Now that the glass is unlocked, it and the tailgate can be opened. Now you can remove the
interior tailgate panel, it has one screw on each side and easily lifts off.

The actuator that needs to be replaced costs $58 from the dealer, so if you don't want
to replace it yet, but still want to open the back, you can leave the panel off and just push the
manual release level.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Scott Regier is on a distinguished road

If it were only that easy. There is a screw attached to a "flange" piece of metal where the hump is facing outside, i.e., the the window side that is attached to the inside of the tailgate. I've even tried using a crowbar just to try to break the thing.
The actuator works it is a small piece of plastic that is broken. And they didn't make it out of metal because...?
If you are inside the vehicle facing the rear window and were able to pull the rear tailgate panel what side is the manual release lever on right or left? Is it located up closer to the hump?

Old 02-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Default Tailgate

If you look close at this photo towards the top there is a half circle on the trim representing the fact that the flange I was talking about was broken off.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Default Cheap piece of plastic.

The blue piece of plastic is what needs to be replaced.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:13 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

From what I've seen, the only way to get the window to release at that point is to actually break the trim panel to pulled it off and manually release the back window... If you're lucky you'll only snap off a small piece where it's screwed to the gate itself and you'll be able to reuse it, but it's not uncommon for it to split in half when you start yanking on it... Not a bad idea to run by a junk yard and see if you can find a spare before even starting.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:22 PM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just did mine. THANKS!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Hawaiiborn is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate all the pics and info on how to repair the rear lift glass release button. The instructions was very easy to follow and the tips was awesome. I give it a 5 star rating. Thank you again.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:00 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I love seeing that this thread is still helping people years after I made it Glad it has helped so many!

Old 07-10-2018, 09:35 PM
Beginning Member
steveduns is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to get myself motivated to fix mine for years. Thanks for the pics and info - will make it so much easier.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Starting Member
nomoresubies is on a distinguished road

Been reading all of this and trying to follow...I have a 2001 ZR2.
My rear hatch has a solid cover and no button. Have read somewhere that if you have a key fob to actuate it then there is not a button. Is this correct?

Mine pops from the key fob and the interior switch but does not pop enough for the glass to release. Must be out back with the fob to pull the glass manually after it unlocks. Thinking about adding a spring to the guide pin.

Lastly, have seen keyed buttons and wonder why there would be a release button in the back that is not keyed to prevent unwanted access. Must the key be on for that to work or something?

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Rear lift glass release button on hatch - HOW TO REPAIR -