Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Remote Start/Alarm - Fix it or Remove it

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road
Default Remote Start/Alarm - Fix it or Remove it

When I got my Jimmy, there was an old viper alarm/remote start installed. Ever since I've had it, there have been two problems.

1. The alarm is silent. Before I technically got it, I drove it for a week or so. The alarm would beep when I locked the door and then about 15 seconds later. Also, if the alarm went off, it was noisy as hell. Now there's no beep when I lock it. I can hear the locks shift into the lock position and the lights flash once. When I unlock it, they flash twice. If the alarm goes off, theres a clicking sound in the dash and the lights go off. There's also a steady beeeeeeeeeep like the door is open and the key is in the ignition. I looked for a switch because I heard it was in "valet mode", but all I found was a kill switch under the steering wheel.

2. If I hold down the left and right button on the remote, the car starts for about 10 seconds and shuts off again. Is there anything I can do to make this function correctly?

Sorry if this is hard to understand. I'm at a complete loss and it's really annoying watching for the lights to flash so I know it's locked..Especially during the day when they're hard to see.

Thanks for and insight,
Steve

Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I would repair it depending on how well it was installed. What model is it? Drop the knee bolster and look to see how it was tied into the factory wiring and the model. Post up and we will go from there. I can walk you through it all if you want to repair or remove it.

It sounds like the horn trigger either came loose or the relay to activate it died. The start and then stop sounds like the bypass lost programming or the wires came loose.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 PM

Let's see if that pic works....

It's a viper model 500+

In the bottom right corner of that mess of wires, theres a little black button. I don't know why it's there, but I pushed it and it didn't do anything noticeable. Also theres a black wire not plugged into anything. It just under and to the right of the black box.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Little Roober; 03-09-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 AM

After tinkering with it for a bit, I found another button identical to the first one...Again..Nothing came from pressing it. I also found that when remote starting it starts really rough, but if i put the key in the ignition asap it'll keep running and let me switch from park to reverse to drive. I'm at a loss here. First car and first time messin around with wires.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Sounds like the bypass had lost programming, which is why if you dont put key in, it will die, but if you do, it stays running. Do you have access to a multi-meter?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by hillbillyinOhio
Sounds like the bypass had lost programming, which is why if you dont put key in, it will die, but if you do, it stays running. Do you have access to a multi-meter?
I don't think so unless Autozone would lend them out or my dad has one and he's been hiding it from me... If I pick one up in the next few days, what do I need to use it on?