Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

spotlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Beginning Member
John Riley is on a distinguished road
Wink spotlights

can any one tell me if the 1999 LS has a inbuilt plug at the front for spotlights off of the high beam

I can add the wiring its all pretty easy but if its there already and I haven't seen it would be easier

if not is it ok to run the relay off the high beam on them, I know it should be,

but I'm asking as I had problems with head lights and my Toyota coaster bus

Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Explain what you mean by "spotlights"?

Old 08-27-2019, 03:48 AM
Beginning Member

folks, I mean any after market lights, mainly on the front of the vehicle, you can also add them to reverse lights, work lights on the side as well, but mainly on the front, heres photos of 3 of mine 1st is the curved light bar on the coaster bus motorhome, the 2nd is the Hilux, and the 3rd is the cruiser, the cruiser has 4 HID spot lights added as its old school. the Blazer hasn't any on it yet, as they are still coming.

on the front right under the light is whats called a Roo Shoo it emits a high pitch sound that you can just hear but Roos can hear it a 100yrds away easy it has tweeters in it and runs at around 15000hzz dogs hate it as well

this has 4 spots 2 in the middle and 2 outside all hid

Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member

you have 2 lightbars on yours over here unless they come out of the car yard like it we arnt meant to have them above the center on the main beams but safety in numbers

Old 08-27-2019, 09:06 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

OH okay, I see what you're after now...

I would say that anything more than just a small square LED pod is going to need it's own dedicated circuit with a relay.

I have a 24" and a 50" on mine, each with it's own 3 position switch in the cab.

The center position on the switches is off; the LED light bars will not come on at all, they're completely disabled.
Flipping the switch one way energizes the relay to turn on the light bars, no matter if the headlights are on, or even the ignition is on.
Flipping the switch the other way makes them automatic with the high beams, which sounds like what you're trying to do.

I had a Corolla that I installed a 24" bar in the front bumper wired up to just kick on with the high beams. It's a pretty straight forward wiring setup actually with a relay harness.

Basically the way that I wired the relay harness in my basic Corolla setup was to have the relay have constant 12v at the battery and a constant ground; those were basically the power source for the LED bar. Then the two trigger inputs on the relay just went to the two wires that power the high beam bulb; I literally just tapped into the 12v and ground wires behind the headlight that had the socket on it for the bulb. You can do this because all your tap is doing is powering up a relay which draws hardly any power.

My light bars on my Blazer are wired that way for one position on the 3 way switch, and the other way the switch is flipped just sees constant 12v so that is why it will trigger the light bar's relay and light it up no matter what. The center position on the switches just doesn't provide power to the trigger inputs on the relays no matter what, it's essentially a kill position.

The wiring gets a little complicated when you have 4 switches next to each other, each one doing multiple different things depending on their flipped position Only one that's a basic on/off toggle switch is the arm switch for the winch. The other 3 are 3 way switches (electric fan switch goes between low speed, off, and high speed)

And I say that you could probably get away with the small pods without a relay harness because I actually have a pair wired into my reverse light circuit. Now I also have LED bulbs installed in the factory bulb spots in the tail lights, so all together with those and the LED pods, I'm probably only pulling the same current draw that regular incandescent bulbs would pull in the factory spots in the taillights. I don't have a dedicated relay circuit on those and they've been working absolutely fine.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:08 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Blazen, thanks for the write up! That's how I'm going to rewire my light bar now!

Old 08-28-2019, 02:13 AM
Beginning Member
Default lights

I like what you have done yep I would normally just wire them all in separate on our vehicles we have to have them so the front facing ones only come on on high beam unless your on private property

my top end lights I get out of china from a company called Aurora

http://www.szaurora.com/product.asp?ClassID=001

have a look never had a problem with them and ive been going there at least 8 years they
have a good infered one that's a spot light it goes great above your number plate speed cameras hate it but there light bar are good if you look at the bull bar on the bus theres a small round light at the top on each side I can drive the bus just using them at night oh the curved one on the bus it has 2 flashing modes as well. postage can be a bit high as I hate paying it

but have a look they have harnesses for all there products

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
OH okay, I see what you're after now...

I would say that anything more than just a small square LED pod is going to need it's own dedicated circuit with a relay.

I have a 24" and a 50" on mine, each with it's own 3 position switch in the cab.

The center position on the switches is off; the LED light bars will not come on at all, they're completely disabled.
Flipping the switch one way energizes the relay to turn on the light bars, no matter if the headlights are on, or even the ignition is on.
Flipping the switch the other way makes them automatic with the high beams, which sounds like what you're trying to do.

I had a Corolla that I installed a 24" bar in the front bumper wired up to just kick on with the high beams. It's a pretty straight forward wiring setup actually with a relay harness.

Basically the way that I wired the relay harness in my basic Corolla setup was to have the relay have constant 12v at the battery and a constant ground; those were basically the power source for the LED bar. Then the two trigger inputs on the relay just went to the two wires that power the high beam bulb; I literally just tapped into the 12v and ground wires behind the headlight that had the socket on it for the bulb. You can do this because all your tap is doing is powering up a relay which draws hardly any power.

My light bars on my Blazer are wired that way for one position on the 3 way switch, and the other way the switch is flipped just sees constant 12v so that is why it will trigger the light bar's relay and light it up no matter what. The center position on the switches just doesn't provide power to the trigger inputs on the relays no matter what, it's essentially a kill position.

The wiring gets a little complicated when you have 4 switches next to each other, each one doing multiple different things depending on their flipped position Only one that's a basic on/off toggle switch is the arm switch for the winch. The other 3 are 3 way switches (electric fan switch goes between low speed, off, and high speed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOMU64SNtBA

And I say that you could probably get away with the small pods without a relay harness because I actually have a pair wired into my reverse light circuit. Now I also have LED bulbs installed in the factory bulb spots in the tail lights, so all together with those and the LED pods, I'm probably only pulling the same current draw that regular incandescent bulbs would pull in the factory spots in the taillights. I don't have a dedicated relay circuit on those and they've been working absolutely fine.