Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Stereo Cutting Out/Dash Lights Dim

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 PM
FancisMH is on a distinguished road
Default Stereo Cutting Out/Dash Lights Dim

Hey guys, I'm hoping that this is the correct place to post (if not please let me know)

So, I have an 83 S10 Blazer, 2.8 auto... So my issue is that the stereo cuts out. And it cuts out often. I replaced the old deck with a newer Kenwood hoping it would the issue, but it actually made it worse.

It's also gotten worse due to the fact I have a 500 watt (750 RMS) JL Audio Amp and 12inch Rockford Fosgate Punch 1, two aftermarket Alpine 5x4s and two NEW Pioneer 6x9s.

I also recently (last thursday) installed two HID headlights. When I start my baby up, I turn on the lights and the dash and radio die until I put it in drive.

So, I've spoke with a few colleagues and they think it's either a short or my factory alternator is not big enough to handle all the extra power.

Any thoughts, tips and or tricks would be very helpful, I don't want to replace the alternator since it was done less then a year ago, but I'm sick of Biggie getting cut out every third word, it's driving me up a F%&$*ing
wall.

I tired to get behind the dash board last night, but the freaking speedometer is like bolted on and I don't have a small enough wrench to undo it. So I'm stuck.

Please help

Thanks

FrankWhite

Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It likely is a problem with the output of the factory alternator not being able to support the added electrical load. If your system voltage drops too low, it will cause newer electronics to shut down. If everything works as it should with a slightly raised idle and while cruising down the road, the alternator is the most likely cause and would have to be upgraded to a higher amp design to correct the issue.