Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2003 Blazer dash displays are too dim

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I just got 2 months ago a '03 Blazer 2 Door, 4WD LS and have had a recurring problem with the digital displays being too dim to see in bright light of day. Example: trans--PRNDXX--and the odometer are especially poor. Also I have had a couple of cases when the fuel gauge will register 'Empty' when it does have fuel in the tank. This is after a stop with the engine off. The 'low fuel' warning lamp comes on in these instances.
So is there anyway to increase the brightness of these dig. displays?
The dash air bag warning light stays on. I have checked the fuse on the dash panel and it is good. Have checked nothing else. Any things to check with these problems?

I found this interesting and detailed YouTube vid on the clusters in full size GMC/Chevy trucks that are having a common problem of 'no display' for the odometer and PRND321' and wondered if it would apply to my '03 Blazer. It is how to remove the cluster and resolder the connections and then clean terminals for the dash circuit board.

Last edited by Thogert; 07-02-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Combining consecutive posts, please use the edit feature.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:28 AM
Beginning Member
Nick95733 is on a distinguished road

Check next to your headlight switches...
Underneath the switches it should have a button that says "Dome Override"
now next to that should be a up/down slide button thing... Slide that button up, but not all the way, if you slide it all the way it will click into place and turn the overhead lights on...
This should increase the amount of lighting on your dashboard and stereo

Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Yes, I know the dimmer switch on the left will dim and brighten the entire panel, but I am just having trouble with the just two digital displays: the auto trans--PRND321 ---and the odometer. The two dig. displays are almost bright enough to see at night but during the day, the sunlight overwhelms those two displays. The video I included about a 1999 GMC Sierra has just those two displays totally out. I am thinking , based on that video, that if I were to remove and clean the contacts and maybe slightly bend the contacts so that they make better elec. contact, it may help my 2003 dash. Anyone had similar problems or tried to improve the dig display brightness?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I know mine would dim the prnd21 if I had the headlights on. Maybe see if the signal wire for that is finding power somewhere.