Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

stock alarm, no sound, solid red light after replacing brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Vino is on a distinguished road
Default stock alarm, no sound, solid red light after replacing brake light switch

edit: 2001 Blazer Xtreme

Well, I've searched the net for a couple of days and found nothing.

My brake lights went out on Thursday and I had to replace the brake light switch. My car battery died as well when I was trying to replace it so I had to disconnect that also to trickle charge it. On Saturday I got everything back in, battery charged and put back, and now my dashboard LED for the alarm, it usually blinks when it's armed, now it just stays solid red whether armed or not and only when it's not running and my alarm doesn't sound when arming it. Any ideas?

When I start the car the red light goes out however, when I turn it off it permanently goes red again. Also, when I turn on the alarm, the lights still flash, the doors lock, however the beep beep doesn't sound. I did use the panic button to test the siren and that works.

So, no sound when arming, permanent red light when the truck is not running.

I'd love for some help! thank you in advance!

Last edited by Vino; 03-03-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Where is this red light you speak of? Do you mean the light that reads "Security" in the gauge cluster?

Also, some vehicle details would be helpful...

*edit* - Content & Vehicle Theft Deterrent Information runs through the operation of the stock passlock & content theft deterrent systems and details how the "Security" light should respond to various events.

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-03-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added CTD/Passlock info link
Old 03-03-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Where is this red light you speak of? Do you mean the light that reads "Security" in the gauge cluster?

Also, some vehicle details would be helpful...
Yeah, I edited my OG post right after you posted I guess. It's a 2001 Blazer Xtreme.

I got this truck in 04 as a gift and thought the alarm was stock. But it turns out, it is an aftermarket one. That's my fault. Shoot, yeah, that would be hard to troubleshoot in here then.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could post up the information on the aftermarket alarm and see if anyone has experience with it. But getting to the bottom of what is going on could be quite difficult.

If you can get a model number & manufacturer off of it, you could see about contacting them to see if they have a manual available. It sounds like the alarm has reset to some default state and you need to configure it to your preferences.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Solved, and I actually have you to thank! I had no idea it was aftermarket and so the first google search I did without "2001 blazer" in it actually brought me the answer. Yeah, it defaulted back into valet mode and the link I found to get out of that mode worked.

So, much appreciated for pointing out that it didn't come with the truck! lol

I'd delete this thread since it doesn't belong in the blazer section but I don't see the option to in the advanced editing mode.