Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

tccm corrosion...again

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default tccm corrosion...again

ok, i battled this before and its back.

i have tried using electronics cleaner on the module itself and connectors.
i dont think i have a leak anywhere allowing water on the area around or in the module and harness.

what i have noticed is, that lately with the warm days and cool nights i must be getting condensation in that area....its the only thing that has changed lately.

what i have done several times over the last month or so is disconnect the larger harness and plug it back in...that seems to fix it for a day or several...depends.

having narrowed it down to that harness connector , i inspected the connector and the pins....i dont see any obvious signs since i last cleaned it up...so i am also thinking of trying to clean the connector out some how.

what i was wondering is if someone has found a way to fix the issue long term? i am also considering using some of the terminal grease that i put on my battery posts....any other ideas??

Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't removed the individual terminals from the connector, you may not be getting them cleaned properly. The last one I cleaned up, I had to remove all of the terminals and then open a few of them up to get them cleaned properly. One needed to be replaced all together. Check out THIS thread for the terminal information.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

^^^thank you for the link.
It looks like i have homework to do.
Seeing as how this looks like a common problem from what i have read...is there a specific cause or is it mainly just a matter of an aging elec system?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, the cause is simply because GM put the darn thing in there with the connector facing up.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:19 PM
BF Veteran

Thats a good point....i will have to think relocation options.
That never even occured to me.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Get it perfectly clean or replace all the terminals that have corrosion present, then coat the whole thing in dielectric grease and you shouldn't have another problem either.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM
bakyrdmechanic is on a distinguished road
Default no problem about messaging

just hoping to resolve issue before heading out of province. and referred to the tccm as an eccm but have now corrected myself need new solution to this problem as i have gone through all 25 pages here and havent seen anything like what i am experiencing..