Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Took dash apart, now battery's dying

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Kayruss is on a distinguished road
Default Took dash apart, now battery's dying

Help!

I've got a 2001 blazer 4wd

A few weeks ago, I was having an issue with (I thought) my heater core. So I started to take apart the dash. I got so far and gave up, put it all back together and took it to a mechanic.

While putting the dash back together, I noticed a buzzing sound coming from behind the glove compartment, and now the battery is constantly draining. The buzz is coming from a box that has a bunch of wires connected to it (sorry, I'm not really versed in what some things are called). Took dash apart, now battery's dying-2011-09-09_13-09-11_772a.jpg

While it buzzes, I've noticed the rear windshield wiper clicks, too, like it's stuck.

It did not start doing this until I took the dash apart for the first time.

I'm on a preacher's salary here, so I can't afford to keep taking the thing to a mechanic. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Took dash apart, now battery's dying-2011-09-09_13-09-11_772.jpg  
Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the buzzing coming from the turn signal relay (the cube that is held in with the green strap)?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 PM

Can't tell. Seems like it is. I've got the battery disconnected at the moment, but I'll go reattach it to make sure

Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know. If it is the source of the noise, the cause is likely a broken hazard switch on the steering column. This can sometimes happen during a dash removal. If you're lucky, it is a $20 or less fix (process & part numbers detailed in the Tech Article section).

Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Yep, that's where it's coming from. I'll check out the article. Another (maybe stupid) question. (I'm also having trouble with misfires. Could this be the source of that as well? I know it's some kind of electrical thing because the RPM meter jumps like crazy while the engine is running.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Administrator

I doubt that the two problems are related. If the tachometer jumps around considerably while driving the truck, you may have a bad CMP (camshaft position) sensor or a flaky connection between the sensor & the PCM.

Here are some links for you:
P0341 - CMP (camshaft position) Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance <-- has the diagrams for the CMP sensor in it.
Broken Hazard Switch Repair <-- good pictures
98+ Hazard Switch Replacement <-- book method

And if the hazard switch doesn't cure the buzzing problem, then you may have to replace the whole multifunction switch:
98+ Multifunction Switch Replacement

Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks! I'll check those out if the switch doesn't cure it.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM

*FIXED* Thanks Swartlkk! The Hazard switch fixed the buzzing problem, and the other problem was the distributor itself. Works like a dream now!