Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

99 Grand Prix Power window switch smoked and died

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default 99 Grand Prix Power window switch smoked and died

I know this isn't a blazer. But I figured somebody might tell me what is up. While rolling up the window on the driver side. The window struggled for 5 sec and finished rolling up. Afterwords I noticed smoke from the power window switch cluster on the driver side. Well I rolled it down (no smoke) and up (smoke). So I removed the door panel and checked everything out. Lubed all the railings. The power window went down but when up, smoke. Then the switch finally burned out. When I jumped the switch the two wires to roll up the window. Rolls up fine just like the other three windows with no struble at all. So do I have a bad switch? Is it just that or do I have over issues? I assume just a bad switch. But this is the main driver side 4 button switch that burned up. So I don't think it will be cheap. I would hate to replace it again and again. I have never seen this problem before. Advise would be nice.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Go to a wreckers and find the part you need!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default Yes, I'm thinking that

Yes, I'm thinking that. But I wanted to make sure it was nothing more than a old warn out switch.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 04-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

could be the motor starting to go ading extra load to the window switch. I would get a JY switch right now and if it happens again replace the motor

Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to 'The Lounge' since it has nothing to do with Blazers. Please carefully choose the forum section you post in.*