Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

another new gun

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AJBert
That is one of the better looking Nagants I've seen. Congrats!

You should have MUCH better accuracy than that. Have someone else shoot it that you know to be a good shot. If they are getting the same results there is something wrong with the rifle. If they are getting 1"-1 1/2" groups, well, it's the shooter.

These rifles are know for their accuracy and 5" groups at 100 yards is not accurate at all. Not to say you cannot shoot, that is not my intention. Thus why I recommend someone you know that shoots well to give her a try.
there was about a 5mph wind going on. And it may have been tighter than 5in. that was just a guestamate.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:16 PM
WLB
Beginning Member
WLB is an unknown quantity at this point

Like any old military rifle, there are good ones and not so good ones. The first Mosin Nagant I bought decades ago wouldn't shoot in a 2 foot circle at 100 yards. I realized why when I saw that one of the rounds had gone through sideways. The bore was clean but shot out. One I bought several years ago does much better. Unless you are young with good eyes, 1 1/2 inch groups with stock iron sights are hard to come by.

There are plastic after market monte carlo style stocks for the Mosin Nagant that will make the reduce the felt recoil. They require no inletting and are quite reasonable in price.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WLB
Like any old military rifle, there are good ones and not so good ones. The first Mosin Nagant I bought decades ago wouldn't shoot in a 2 foot circle at 100 yards. I realized why when I saw that one of the rounds had gone through sideways. The bore was clean but shot out. One I bought several years ago does much better. Unless you are young with good eyes, 1 1/2 inch groups with stock iron sights are hard to come by.

There are plastic after market monte carlo style stocks for the Mosin Nagant that will make the reduce the felt recoil. They require no inletting and are quite reasonable in price.
I know what you mean, however this one is quite accurate. At 100 yards its a tight spread. Where ever I aim it hits within an inch. And I am planning on keeping the stock but adding a but pad and possibly a bi pod.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Well, after a few years, I broke down put one on layaway today (only way I can hide the purchase from my wife). We got a rather exceptional shipment of them in and the store put them on sale (we do this about three times a year). Haven't even laid eyes on it but had a very trusted buddy pick on out for me.

I'll probably leave it in the cosmoline and boxed up for the next 10-20 years in the back of some closet out of the wife's eyes and pull it out one day. Pretty sure it'll be worth a bit more by then as most of them being sold today will be molested in one way or another by then. Just look at most any military surplus firearms sold over the years and see what one in original condition versus one that has been "enhanced" and guess what the price difference is between them.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Mosin Nagant club! My son has a 1939 91/30. I own a 1944 M44. Love going to the range and firing these relics. The have a really distinct boom compared to the rest of the guns being fired by everyone else. I have refinished the furniture on my rifle. My son has his in the finish, scratches and all. Have fun shooting yours, and be safe!