The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Any owners of Snap-On flank drive plus reversible ratchet wrenches out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 10:39 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road
Default Any owners of Snap-On flank drive plus reversible ratchet wrenches out there?

I’m considering an upgrade from my current mix of ratchet wrenches that includes some S&K, some Gear Wrench, and even some Husky. I’m slowly upgrading just about all of my tools to Snap-On, and while I generally prefer the vintage snap on stuff for other things, I think the newest version of the ratchet wrenches may definitely have an edge on anything that has come before them.

I’m looking at the ten piece combination set:
https://shop.snapon.com/product/SOXRRM710

Just wondering if anyone has got these, and what your general impressions were?

Old 02-24-2020, 01:17 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I'm sure they are great quality but you'd have to kill me before I'd pay $500+ for 10 wrenches.

I stopped buying Snap-on wrenches after it cost me $35 to replace a 15mm long combo wrench that I lost out of a set - and that was over 20 years ago. I just don't use tools to make my living anymore so I don't mind replacing them with an odd tool or two.

But Snap-on Screwdrivers are the best and well-worth the money. Nothing worse than a worn out Phillips screwdriver, and Snap-on also offers posi-drive screwdrivers. Only found one brand that could compete after Craftsman started using cheap metal. Blackhawk - but where do you find them? Test your screwdriver. Clamp it in a vice and pull on it until it bends. If it springs back it is good metal. If it breaks, you pulled too hard and it was good metal. Go ahead and buy with confidence. If it stays bent, then you have your answer. Did that to the Mac tool man once when he claimed his was just as good. Mac failed the test.

Also 3/8 drive Snap-on 6-point deep well sockets are virtually indestructible (like nothing else). They wont' warranty them if they break - but they just don't break.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-24-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:09 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
I'm sure they are great quality but you'd have to kill me before I'd pay $500+ for 10 wrenches.

I stopped buying Snap-on wrenches after it cost me $35 to replace a 15mm long combo wrench that I lost out of a set - and that was over 20 years ago. I just don't use tools to make my living anymore so I don't mind replacing them with an odd tool or two.

But Snap-on Screwdrivers are the best and well-worth the money. Nothing worse than a worn out Phillips screwdriver, and Snap-on also offers posi-drive screwdrivers. Only found one brand that could compete after Craftsman started using cheap metal. Blackhawk - but where do you find them? Test your screwdriver. Clamp it in a vice and pull on it until it bends. If it springs back it is good metal. If it breaks, you pulled too hard and it was good metal. Go ahead and buy with confidence. If it stays bent, then you have your answer. Did that to the Mac tool man once when he claimed his was just as good. Mac failed the test.

Also 3/8 drive Snap-on 6-point deep well sockets are virtually indestructible (like nothing else). They wont' warranty them if they break - but they just don't break.
Thanks Les, and I totally agree with you regarding the screwdrivers. Years ago I used to work part time with an electrician friend during my off-duty hours. I must have helped him wire hundreds of new construction homes during the nineties, and after wearing out a few Klein tools screwdrivers (or blowing them up? I can’t really remember after so long, I know I blew up at least a couple diagonal cutters ).
Anyway, I replaced my Phillips screwdrivers with Snap-On, and still have them today, and they still work good as new.

I also agree with you regarding the SK stuff. I never broke one, and still have the 3/8’s set my Mom and Dad gave me that helped me (with the help of my Dad) do the engine swap on my first car, a 1974 Vega.

In memory of my father, I will never get rid of any of those original tools, and now primarily use my Dad’s early production SK 3/8 ratchet that I recently cleaned and serviced.
This particular ratchet has the earliest SK patent number and Cadmium finish, which was used during World War II due to shortages of chromium.

During disassembly and inspection, the ratchet assembly, pawls, and teeth within the circular head looked good as new, with no signs of rounded off edges or broken teeth

Edit: PS, more interesting stuff:

http://alloy-artifacts.org/sherman-klove.html

Last edited by Billy1820; 02-24-2020 at 10:31 PM.