Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Back from the hunt

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough
Default Back from the hunt

Well, actually got back home a couple of days ago from our annual CO elk hunt. Tag draws were a bit mixed up this year as my brother and his wife drew 3rd season and the other four of us drew 4th season, though in two different units. All cow tags this year, no deer tags. My dad and I went up early to help my brother and his wife out on their hunt. Good thing we did, they both got their elk. I was up front on both elk with my drag. First one was about a mile and a half drag, all down hill thankfully. The second one I was able to get about 30 feet from it with the Blazer.

Come to find out the other two hunters cancelled out on us do to work cancelling their vacation time. Good thing my brother took the time off to help out as my dad is 78 and not much help when it comes to getting critters out of the woods. I ended up getting my elk on the 3rd day and my dad didn't want to go down to his unit to hunt. His hip was hurting him pretty much the whole time we were up there.

If I posted these up correctly, the first pic is of me with my cow and the second pic is of my brother's elk in the back of my Blazer. I've had some folks tell me there is no way you can fit an elk in the back so thought I'd take a pic to prove them wrong. Best guess is both elk fall somewhere between 450-550 lbs on the hoof, probably around 350-400 lbs field dressed. We use a sled to get them out so the dragging isn't bad, particularly when down hill with snow. Getting one of these critters into the back of a slightly lifted Blazer with only two people is a major PITA, though.

Dropped the elk of at my processor yesterday and should have the meat in the freezer no later than Monday evening. Good thing as we are down to one last pack of ground and two packs of backstrap.

Attached Thumbnails Back from the hunt-elk.jpg   Back from the hunt-elk1.jpg