Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

carp bait

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by neo71665
bowfishing ftw
id love to try that. but the 3 main areas i fish have dirty water so you rarely ever see the actual carp unless they are eating crap off the shoreline.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:05 PM
C@rpaholic is on a distinguished road

I would suggest using alot of corn for chum. Then, fish with whatever bait you are using on the outskirts of where the chum is. Theory goes that the smaller fish head for the pile while the large stay on the outskirts.

You can also use special carp baits called " boilies ". There are carp tackle shops online here in the US you can get these from. Going to need a special rig called a " hair rig " and a " bolt rig " and a " baiting needle " to use them effectively. Just google the stuff. Helps wonders with carp fishing.

I managed this 58lb Grass Carp over the summer on a Vanilla flavored boile.
If you have any questions I can help you out with the whole carp fishing thing. Carp fishing is a big time hobby of mine.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road
Old 10-06-2009, 06:01 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by C@rpaholic
I would suggest using alot of corn for chum. Then, fish with whatever bait you are using on the outskirts of where the chum is. Theory goes that the smaller fish head for the pile while the large stay on the outskirts.

You can also use special carp baits called " boilies ". There are carp tackle shops online here in the US you can get these from. Going to need a special rig called a " hair rig " and a " bolt rig " and a " baiting needle " to use them effectively. Just google the stuff. Helps wonders with carp fishing.

I managed this 58lb Grass Carp over the summer on a Vanilla flavored boile.
If you have any questions I can help you out with the whole carp fishing thing. Carp fishing is a big time hobby of mine.

one day ill get me one... a friend of mine who fishes alot told me that too about throwing a pile of corn out and then casting to the side of it. all the carp i been catching though are out in the middle by a dam or in a river with current so cant really chum to much.

whats the story with that thing? what pound line and how long to real in? biggest i caught was a 20lber. caught a few close. i think when i finally do get a 40+ lber ill be satisfied

heres a few of the bigger ones i got

also the funny thing i notice is them big bastards dont fight. one of those faught for like 5 minutes then had a heart attack and came in floating on its side lol

Last edited by abig84; 10-06-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
C@rpaholic is on a distinguished road

The story huh. Well, I was on day two of a 2 day trip. I blanked the first day. Nothing from 1130-9pm. I started around 9am on day two and nothing. Around 230pm my alarm on my right rod ( yeah, I have alarms ) went off then stopped. Then took off then stopped again. I ran down to my rods and it went again. I was figuring small carp, maybe 5lbs or so.

As the fight started it didn't seem like a large fish. It ran a few times but nothing too intense. I normally catch 17-22lb fish constantly at this place and it felt like one of them.

About 10 minutes and i finally got it to the shoreline to see it was in fact a carp, and my first ever grass carp. Then, it ran out about 100 yds but I brought it in pretty quick. Ran out again then back in. Hardest part was getting the fish to stay still on the bank.

Some guy and his grandson came by and helped me with the landing net and some pictures before I let it go. Spent about 10- minutes in the water with it then as well reviving it. I left after that. 1 near 60lb fish is good enough. hehe.

I use 12ft carp rods, baitrunner reels, 15lb Big game line and 25lb braided hooklink( its like an 8 inch leader ) size 4 carp hooks(thicker, but same size as normal size 4's).

As far as the river goes you can chum it. Try to fish areas that are just off the current, backwaters, eddy's and the shorelines. You can catch a ton of carp fishing 5 ft from the shoreline. That stump in the pic is no more than 25-30yds out and is where i fish around. Just throw up river a bit and you'll be fine with the chum.

If you want you can buy cheap otmeal like at Wal-Mart. Mix your corn with the otmeal and make softball size *****. let them dry and just lob them out there. The otmeal breaks down and gives a nice cloud and also gives you the distance too. If you really want to get fancy put alka-seltzers in the chum *****. When the water hits them on the lake bottom they'll fizz and blow all your chum around!

If you still can't reach your target that way in the lake make a smaller version of the softball around your sinker. you'll have to make it really stiff or let it dry before you cast. Tuck your hook in the ball and cast out. The otmeal will break down fast and form a nice little cloud. The corn will fall around your bait, and hopefully mr carp will eat the stuff on your hook too!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 AM
BF Veteran

Ha cool we basically run the same set up. I used to love using closed faced with backreel on so if carp desides to take off when your not paying attention you don't lose the pole. I went and bought some med duty cat fish poles and am using 12lb line. Only problem with the river is its populated so I can only fish off my buddies dock. I kinda fish off shore so there's not that much current. Fishing by the dam is pretty good too