Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

need idea for carp/catfish bait

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:11 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough
Default need idea for carp/catfish bait

Something non-live or parishable. Basically I want to be able to keep it in my work bag and if it breaks open its not gonna stink. So far I been using just plain dough but hasn't been catching squat. Should I mix in some garlic with the dough? My pb&j sandwich worked good for carp lures do ok in some lakes but other lakes where seaweed and snags are everywhere they are outta the question

Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

Explosives. -hi5-

lol idk.. never fished for either of the two. Haven't been fishing in years either... >.<

Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about non parishable. I've tried everything you can think of, from expensive stink baits, to lures and whatnot. But I catch more cats and carps with just a couple nice size bell sinkers, a circle hook, and good old fashion night crawlers. Throw em out there, let it sink, stick your rod in a holder, sit back and drink beer and before you know it, your rod will bend in half. I know this doesn't really help you. But it's what I could give ya.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

fruity chewing gum...uh i think thats all i have on the list of non parishables, gummy bears too maybe

canned corn, chicken gizards/livers work.. when i used to fish for cats, I just ran nightcrawlers weighted and with a bobber on a 3 way hook

Old 07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
BF Veteran

For some reason out here carp don't eat worms. I went fishin last night with one pole using corn which caught only carp and worm was catching bullhead bowfin and little stripped bass

Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I used to bow fish for carp or use dough ***** but I have never cat fish sorry. I will say that I like the explosives idea.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Man we dont have catfish where Im from. Noodling looks like fun! I would love to catch some cats one day in the US...

We do however have these, LOTS of them. They are good eating, but it takes some learning on how to de-bone them as they have 2 sets of ribs on each fillet section. They are mean as all hell and will bite on anything, including waders toes dangling off docks. Ive seen pike snag my crankbait right out of the air when casting, and go after skipping stones. Ive caught half fish because the pike takes half off for an easy lunch. They are not scared of people either, they will come stare straight up your ice fishing holes at you. Its creepy. You also have to watch your hands and use pliers to remove the hooks, or kill it, then get the hooks cause it will snap at you and mess your hand up.
NORTHERN PIKE
This is almost a record one, this beast probably ate ducks and small dogs.

Heres a more normal sized one

We also seem to have carp starting to get up here in Alberta. There never was any before, and its not listed as a sportfish here yet, but I swear I ahve caught fish that looked like this in the middle of Edmonton in the North Saskatchewan River. Ours seem to be more yellow with an orange belly, and never this large.

I FK'IN LOVE FISHING

Last edited by ohsofly; 07-31-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 PM
BF Veteran

We got pike around here but you really have to know how to fish for them. Carp are great fighters. So far today I just put a bunch of garlic in the dough and caught a bullhead

Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

One time while bow fishing I tried to to hit a karp but it was a bit to deep and the arrow just bounced off its head and scratched it.