Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Electric Vehicles... What would you want to see in the car of the future?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh great question.

What I want.
I want 4 wheel independant electric motors.
4 wheel independant suspension. Lunar rover.
I dont want it to sound like a gas engine.
No GPS, or any electronics. That crap only adds cost for very little benefit.
Solar and electric regeneration.

Body style like the S10-Blazer, not the TrailBlazer. TrailBlazer is too big. I want the cargo space of the S10-Blazer, passenger space of the S10-Blazer. Car is too small. No room for the dog, luggage, and 3-4 people. TrailBlazer is too big and offers no real additional usable space compared to the S10-Blazer. Wider and taller provides no useable space. Longer does. Plus wider and taller makes it worse off-roading.

I want is modual, in that repairs are replacement of components. There are no mechanics any more, only service techs who diagnose the problem and replace a part. Keep it simple.

Keep it simple.
If you used a Blazer body and frame for example.
Batteries mounted between frame rails.
Under hood will be storage/trunk space.
Electric motors fit inside wheels.
Each wheel has independant suspension.
Spare tire under rear of truck.
Max speed- 75mph.
0-60, who cares. I am not racing it, Im using it to haul me, my family, and all our stuff to where ever we want to go.

Things you can remove;
transmission, exhaust system, gas tank, driveshafts, t-case, engine- that alone is close to a thousand pounds.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 PM
michigan_engineering is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the great input! I to share a LOT of the same opinions said on here. The "sounding like a gas engine" idea isnt one of choice, but since EV's are so quiet, blind people are lobbying to make electric cars louder and recognizable... E.I. soundling like a gas car. IMO I dislike the idea, but I'm dealing with number crunching co-workers with zero common sense! Lets keep this going! I'd love to slap a bf.com decal on this car haha

Old 07-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Electric motors can be very efficient and powerful, but the problem IMO is that the power source would take too long to recharge, fix that and posibly electric cars might be practicle.
I agree with cage47, I would rather buy an internal combustion engine run on hydrogen then an electric car.
And people say electric car's produce less pollutents, but how much pollution is given off to make that electricity in the first place?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 AM
wolfen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by michigan_engineering
Hello everyone,
I am on an electric vehicle concept design team, and am interested in what everyone would like to see in a future electric vehicle?
Should Navigation systems and touch screen displays be standard?
Do you want the car to sound like its gas powered?
Interiour Luxury features?
Powertrain Specs (i.e. 0-60 times, hp...)

Just curious if anyone, if at all would be interested in such a vehicle. I know this is kind of broad, but it is input like yours that helps deliver an astonishing vehicle you may buy. Thanks =]

its not a matter of what we want, its a matter of hat we need, heres my list of stuff I need
1) totally electric, no fuels at all
2) self regenerating power supply ( no need to plug it in along side of my cell phone
3) power! Enough to pull what we need to pull
4) pickup speed, enough to get us through green a light if were 4th in line
5) reliability, I'm not an electrician.
6) room, gotta be bigger than a "smart car" (way bigger)
7) Ground clearance, nothing worse than being stuck on that little lip at the end of the driveway.
8) Easy to read and understand dash board, I'm 46, not 16
Strong enough to withstand a impact, from other vehicles or that darn deer that hates me.
9) affordable, (Tesla cars start in the 000,000's) I make 32k a year
Thats about all I need, I know I'll never see it in my lifetime, but its nice to dream.

Oh yea, (10), no navagation system, gps, or tomtom stuff, I can read a map if I don't know where I'm going.

Last edited by wolfen; 07-11-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Forgot #10
Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Beginning Member
Beverly Stayart is on a distinguished road

The wave of the future seems to be towards electric motors because they produce less pollution. This is where research and development seems to be increasingly concentrated.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Baja Blazer 85 is on a distinguished road

Touch screen nav isn't important to me. What I would like to see is a decent stereo system, iPod compatable.

I havn't ever seen an electric truck/SUV. I dont mean like a soccer mom SUV, but a real rugged frame setup like the jeep. I know two solid axles would be very difficult to power for a long distance with electricity, but at least an easily modifiable offroader with a shiftable transfer case (2WD, 4HI, 4LO), and good ground clearance.

Horsepower? At least 100 with low 4WD ratios (or easily interchangable axle gears). 0-60 should be no more than 15 seconds, but thats mostly unimportant.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:39 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

In reality, the only 2 things an electric car really need are style and range. Noone is going to drive an elec. car if it only gets 50 miles a charge. Put a small gas engine to RECHARGE ONLY and get the range to 400 mi+. If you can do that in an SUV platform you will be billionaires.

**BATTERY WEIGHT SUCKS**

Old 07-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Baja Blazer 85
Touch screen nav isn't important to me. What I would like to see is a decent stereo system, iPod compatable.

I havn't ever seen an electric truck/SUV. I dont mean like a soccer mom SUV, but a real rugged frame setup like the jeep. I know two solid axles would be very difficult to power for a long distance with electricity, but at least an easily modifiable offroader with a shiftable transfer case (2WD, 4HI, 4LO), and good ground clearance.

Horsepower? At least 100 with low 4WD ratios (or easily interchangable axle gears). 0-60 should be no more than 15 seconds, but thats mostly unimportant.
Ipod compatable? Briother don't limit yourself make it music compatable, accepting ALL formats

Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

i would want my electic car to have the seat of the pants feeling of a 572 big block
maybe a tv in the pass side of the windsheild
be able to drive 1000 miles on a charge
not be a little tiny car that sits 2 inches off the ground
something i can off road in
oh and one that wont put a black hole in my pocket

Last edited by stevo; 07-12-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by stevo
i would want my electic car to have the seat of the pants feeling of a 572 big block
maybe a tv in the pass side of the windsheild
be able to drive 1000 miles on a charge
not be a little tiny car that sits 2 inches off the ground
something i can off road in
oh and one that wont put a black hole in my pocket

YEA! waht he said added to what I said

Quick Reply: Electric Vehicles... What would you want to see in the car of the future?