Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

An Eye Opener About Oil Filters!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigkhans
The owner of the machine shop that put my engine together sells amsoil but I don't know if he uses it himself. Just because he sells it doesn't constitute an endorsement. I don't asume, I research and ask questions and then decide what I'm going to do.
That's pretty good because around here you practically have to be the child of an amsoil user or save the life of an amsoil user.

But back to oil filters: I wonder what the function of the oil filter really is because I know people who have used FRAM filters forever and have no problems. I am changing to Napa Gold expressly for me to feel better, does anyone have another opinion about the function of oil filters?

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Starting Member
DrEaMsTeVe is on a distinguished road

There was a big round up of oil filters done a while back.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html

The ac delco filter here was reviewed very positively.

I have it in right now. I use that and K&N respectively for oil filters.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrEaMsTeVe
There was a big round up of oil filters done a while back.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html

The ac delco filter here was reviewed very positively.

I have it in right now. I use that and K&N respectively for oil filters.
That is an excellent link. Thank you!
So, for me it's between the Champion, WIX (AKA Napa Gold) and the AC Delco if they are still made like that. I plan to cut open some of my old Frams to see if they really are crap. That is quite unfortunate because I have actually seeked out Fram XG's which rate the absolute worst there, even damaging the engine (I just changed my oil, now I want to change it again to ditch that Fram XG!).

It's convenient that you can't see into the cartridge, so they can cut corners in there.

Thanks again for the link!

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I swear, this topic comes up about once a year with the same links.

Oh, and the reason you use an oil filter is to filter the oil of particulate matter.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned

I'm sorry if this is a duplicate, I searched the forum using the keywords "oil", "oil filter" and "filter".

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Beginning Member
toxikchevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigkhans
I remember in tech school a rep from wix filters came out and showed us the gut of all the major filters. I've always liked fram since I don't let my oil stay in that long but since my engine is now rebuilt, I may go with a k&n, or napa gold oil filter. Still thinking about changing over to amsoil but I've yet to heard from somebody who actually uses it.
I'm a dealer for amsoil and I have used there oils and filters and everything since I started driving, not only that but my dad and grandfather both deal it and have for years. i can definatly help you out with any info you would need.

Z.O. number 2032309
contact me for personal number or email.
I would be glad to help in anyways possible.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

I have always used either Delco or mobil 1 filters. We had a fram tough guard filter split in half on my buddies grand am.

Talking about oil filters. I was at the local advanced auto. and a friend of mine there showed me a new oil filter by bosch that they will be carrying. It will replace the fram filters. Its called ditanceplus. Supposed to hold 300% more dirt. Never been a fan of bosch products, but interested to see if it holds up to its claims. Will be priced with the other premium filters. $10-$15 range.

heres a link
http://www.boschautoparts.com/filter...ilFilters.aspx

Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Beginning Member
Sway_89S10 is on a distinguished road

I have used Fram and Mobil 1 on my '83 FireChicken and out of the two I definately prefered the Mobil 1. But I've also used Mobil 1 and K&N on my Blazer and I think K&N performs much better. I change my oil every 5k miles, and it looks a lot cleaner at the change than when I was using the Mobil 1 filter. Just my personal opinion, don't take it to the bank haha.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
sammyboy06 is on a distinguished road

I usually use Delco or Bosch. But after reading this, it really makes me wonder what's really going on with my oil filter.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i've used Fram filters in all my vehicles-for the last 20 years, never had a problem.

and they range from the stock gassers (Blazer, Buick, etc), my diesel Jetta & 'Burb, to my Dart (which only see's 20/50 weight), and have never had a problem with any split cases, collapsed media, leaking, etc.

i've got about a dozen or more filters in the garage, maybe i'll rip apart a few (maybe do one of each?), see what i find in there.............

Quick Reply: An Eye Opener About Oil Filters!