Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

An Eye Opener About Oil Filters!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 AM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

one of my buddies used to build sprint cars and he said they used 20 50 valvoline and he uses valvoline in his car, he said they tried a bunch of different oil in their sprint cars to see what the difference was. He told me that they tried royal purple, pennzoil, valvoline, quakerstate, redline and some other ones. He said that the royal purple was a joke, then he also said but you have to think about what we were using it for. Their v8s turn 10,000rpms on the track and their 4cyls turn 12,000-14,000rpms on the track. He told me that he didn't like the RP for racing but he said its prolly fine for the DD or 4x4 or something like that. One of my other friends used to use RP in his monte carlo before it got totaled and he liked it. he said that it ran cooler and got better mpg's. i'd try it just to see how good it is, i'm sure that its better than the crappiest oil money can buy. Myself i want to try out the amsoil b/c its supposed to be really good.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
just finished watching HorePower TV (on PowerBlock), they were doing a big thing on oil filters @ Royal Purple's plant.

i've gotta say, their filters sure do look pretty bulit proof.

they did a bunch of tests on the filters;

- took 600psi and didn't burst (comparrision filter "popped" @ 260psi),
- dumped a handful of fine dust (3 to 5 microns i think he said), and it was performing @ 99.9% efficency.
^^^kinda have a problem with that test though, the test batch of oil was hugh (like maybe 10 gallons?)
- a vibration test-equal to 6 G's!,
- 150,000 start up pressure test,

wonder what those things are worth?

i'd be interested to see the chassis dyno. they just did it on a stand. its gonna get less horsepower when its on the chassis dyno. looks like grape juice to me

Old 02-15-2010, 07:53 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Joemakerman
I got to say, royal purple is looking pretty good from what you say and that video posted earlier. Think they're actually as good as it seems? Granted, they all seem to be produced in some part by Royal Purple, which sketches me out a tiny bit. What you guys think?

-Joe
were they running it in a BN engine? 'cause i know you're supposed to do the break-in period with regular oil first. you'd think the synthetic's would be much better @ the higher RPM<'s of race engines.

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
i'd be interested to see the chassis dyno. they just did it on a stand. its gonna get less horsepower when its on the chassis dyno.
huh??? was that in reference to the filter, or the engine?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Beginning Member
AKJeff64 is on a distinguished road
Smile Oil filters...

I've used Frams as long as I can remember, never had an issue. I recently bought a couple Purolators on sale and when it came time to change the oil, both filters crushed when I tried to remove them, made a horrible mess. Back to Frams for me

Old 04-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member
TannerPacker is on a distinguished road

K & N is the way to go. It'll be pricey at first, but you only have to change it every other oil change (about every 5,000 or so). As long as your oil looks clean, what's the point as long as you have a really good filter?

Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 AM
madman8718 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigkhans
I remember in tech school a rep from wix filters came out and showed us the gut of all the major filters. I've always liked fram since I don't let my oil stay in that long but since my engine is now rebuilt, I may go with a k&n, or napa gold oil filter. Still thinking about changing over to amsoil but I've yet to heard from somebody who actually uses it.

I've had amsoil (and filter) in my truck for over 10K now, just barely starting to brown like most oil does around 1-2K, and the truck starts and runs better still now than most people's with fresh oil, i am a fan for life, have it in my 03 ZR2, 01 Grand Prix GT, 04 Passat, and both my bikes! (00 honda nighthawk 750, and 04 vrod) The bikes are what i actually started using amsoil in and noticed a huge difference in! I'm a preferred customer now getting whole-sale pricing and order from the company have it shipped straight to my door!

Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

I personally will not use Fram filters. I started cutting my filters open a few years ago to inspect the contents. The place I worked had a pretty sweet filter cutter. Anyway, the internal construction of the Fram oil filter for my little s10 was so Cheap! The filter cartridge had end caps made of cardboard, where other manufacturers have metal or rubber end caps. Instead of a spring to push the filter onto the threaded part of the assembly, Fram uses a bent piece of tin. My co wprkers and I cut open a bunch of other brands of filters and wix, Napa gold and mobil one were the best looking filters as far as CONSTRUCTION. You will all have to get more info as far as performance from some of the other guys. Personally, I use Napa gold, wix or AC Delco. In that order.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 PM
BUBBA3M is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigkhans
I remember in tech school a rep from wix filters came out and showed us the gut of all the major filters. I've always liked fram since I don't let my oil stay in that long but since my engine is now rebuilt, I may go with a k&n, or napa gold oil filter. Still thinking about changing over to amsoil but I've yet to heard from somebody who actually uses it.

I have used AMSOIL oil and their oil filter in my 06 Duramax diesel for the last 2 1/2 years with no problems whatsoever. I changed the tranny and differentials over to their synthetics last summer. I tow a 12000 lb 5th wheel with the Dmax which was my primary reason for buying it. I really like AMSOIL products and would recommend them to anyone.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member
wannabelifted is on a distinguished road

i jsut use motormaster from canadian tire and never had any issues

Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

It is hard to beat NAPA GOLD or WIX for the money. I have used them since the early 80s.