Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Guns!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Guns!

I will be applying for my FOID card here in Illinois, and will be promptly picking up a handgun/shotgun for self defense in my future apartment.

There is no conceal and carry in Illinois, unless you are law enforcement, mayor, alderman... etc....

But I was looking through and thinking that if I go handgun I will spend about 400-600 on a decent handgun, but I am unsure what I want. I would love a g18, but they is illegal....

I was just looking for random input hence the lounge setting,

Also considering a 357 mag, as those are fun at the range.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Yea, I personally love the look of shotguns! Remington 870 is a nice, cheap, easy gun. Look it up on their website. It comes in tons of different styles but I love the tactical. I'll be getting this one soon, just need my papers signed!

Last edited by zedartwo; 02-01-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

Head across town to Gander Mountain and see if they have any of these for a decent price.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

sig p226 in .357 is love

stay clear of .40 cal because its crap (wants to be cool like 9mm and big like .45 but fails at both)

9mm gets a bad rap because it's not like throwing a lead truck at someone (i'm looking at you .45...) but if you cant "self defend" with 2-3 rounds of 9mm you should just hand the bad guy your pistol right then...

you will never fire once. ever. controlled pairs also = love

it all comes down to what you are comfortable AND safe with. as you will not be CC, you can get a full sized pistol (more accurate)
the CZ-75 and CZ-95 are very affordable highly accurate combat pistols.

personal opinion: glock = garbage. <-- people feel the same about the beretta 92f though, so again personal opinion.

home def pistol = high cap (10-17 rounds semi, 5-6 revolver) and easy use of a tactical light for positive ID of targets (OMFG IMPORTANT!)
if it's home def ONLY: invest in hydro-shock style hollow points + penetrator (unless you get broken into by dudes in body armor....)

home def rifle = you COULD get a shorty ar or ak, but

home def SG: ahhh... my favorite wepon with a SG you have the option of multiple rounds for the same weapon. want a dart launcher/flame thrower/slug tosser/scatter shooting/flash banging/lock breaker? get a 12 ga. with a (remington vs. mossberg argument = boo!) mossberg m590 you have an 8 round shotgun, tactical light AND you can strap and m9 bayonet to the front (Get off my lawn you brain eattin' zombie bastards!!!)

my load of choice is #20 game load in the chamber, 00 buck, rifled slug,buck,slug,buck,slug,buck. that way you can say, "HALT" whilst delivering the taste of game load for free (i was fearing for my life/the safety of other's your honor!) and you get to cycle the killing shot in while the bad guy takes a half second to seriously consider his next move. a light dusting of game shot will take the fight out of damn near anyone AND you get to shoot someone with out the moral "oh noes, i is a killerz "! BONUS!

my HD weapon is a Titanium .38 hammerless 2.5" snub with 5 rounds hydro shock and a surefire m3 light (the wifes CC)
or if she has that, a sub-compact 9mm conceal carry with 10 round (+1) capacity and said tact light.
the SG stays in the closet (7 in the tube, gl up front, buck on the gun case beside it. For asey 'chamber 1, tube 1, ready to go action'.

+

1911 clone or 92f clone is your best entry level do all hand gun.
revolver style pistol if you need to "keep the cases in"

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-01-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

That was a novel! haha, but very informative!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:04 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

You could pick up a Taurus 1911 .45cal for around $600 maybe a pinch more.

For a shotgun, you can pick up a used police issue Remington 870 for $300. Make sure you use buckshot and not birdshot.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I have a .50 Cal Precisions Pursuit Muzzleloader. Used - 0 times. Good investment. Not so much the guns fault, as it is the lazy hunter. Also all black.

Also got a Mossberg 500 Pump - 12 gauge. All black. Love it!

And last but not least, a Savage .270 Long Rifle. Black gun, black barrel, black scope, black bi-pod. Love it!

I'll maybe get some pics on later. As you can see I like my guns in black.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Beginning Member
noseback is on a distinguished road

i got a desert eagle .50 cal, great gun will blow limbs off lol but never used it on anyone but a fox that blew into pieces. i recomend a glock 21 handgun 45mm. they go for about 400-500

Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran

used SG for $300?!?!

here is the m590 brand new in the box with accessories for $70 more... AND it's the full 8 rd tube +1 in chamber...
clickity

walmart has the remington 870 short tube for $270 out the door, ganger mountain/big 5/bi-mart (what ever you have) have the 6 short home def 870 for $305-$315 with out the cheese dick wood furnature the old police recycles have.

hell even my 590 at a gun show only cost $225 with hi-viz sights

Old 02-01-2010, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran

well i guess since this has turned into a "what i have discussion" I'll play

*weatherby .308 20" short barrel, free floated, desert tan houge stock, 3x10 adjustable power scope, and harris bipod <-- elk getter

* taurus conceal carry sub-compact 9mm Millenium pro <-- my crappy CC, night stand HD gun

* taurus conceal carry titanium ultra light .38 snub <-- the wife's sexy CC (mine when she's not looking)

*PAR-3 5.56mm Romanian varian AK <-- toy, targeter, plinker, coyote gun if i ever get around to it

*mossberg M590 full capacity with pistol grip and pistol grip pump <-- toy, snowman destroyer, fungun, closet HD gun

*2 Cugir .22LR romanian training rifles with graduated flip sights <-- every day shooter, target gun, plinker, rabbit/grouse bagger truck gun

*over/under .32 derringer pocket pistol <-- running gun, poker cheatin' shoot-and-scoot gun

*some WWII surplus weapons (mosin 44, mosin 91/30, steyr m95)

I was into buying cheap guns before i got into maintaining cheap trucks....

regret dumping my .30-30, .270 deer getter, and ruger .22 (10/22 and bull barrel pistol)

if you buy a weapon, get a common caliber that has stood the test of time (i'm looking at you 10mm....) and has proven it's self (high-five .45 and 9mm and 12 ga.) something that is cheap to feed (.22 is the king here) and wont break the bank to get used to how it handles and refresh with it everyonce in a while (.454 casull...)

try before you buy (go to a pay-to-play gun range, or shoot a buddy's gun) and just get what feels right. looks dont matter when all they see is the bore......

Quick Reply: Guns!