The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Guns!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Just stopping in to say

Carry on.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

This is what really sucks... I can own any firearm I want (with my foid when it gets processed), but I can not have it in my current apartment. Because it is semi campus related.... Basically, if you were a hunter you have to have your gun locked up at the Campus police station and can access it when you go hunting... Just dont plan on going before 6.... no one can find an officer before 6....

Old 02-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Starting Member
RebelJimmy96 is on a distinguished road

just stick to what has been working for over 100 years and counting "thank u mr. browning"
Springfield Armory GI 1911 45 acp Stainless
and Bushmaster AR-15 m4

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

:icon_patri ot:
Originally Posted by RebelJimmy96
just stick to what has been working for over 100 years and counting "thank u mr. browning"
Springfield Armory GI 1911 45 acp Stainless
and Bushmaster AR-15 m4

Old 02-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Beginning Member
Sway_89S10 is on a distinguished road

I have a Remington 12 gauge barrel load, it's a great shotgun, easy to clean and you'll never have problems with it, except that since it's a barrel load, you only get one shot.
I also have a Marlin .22 long rifle, wouldn't recommend it for self-defense but it's really fun to shoot at a range and rounds are extremely cheap, like $8 for 50 rounds.

For a handgun, I would recommend a Glock 9mm or a Glock .40, they're indestructable, relatively cheap, and easy to maintain. One of my best friends is a prison gaurd and they gave him the Glock .40.
He also has this as his personal gun, if you're looking for something a little more intimadating .

http://conspiracyx0.tripod.com/weapons2/454B.gif

The bullets for that thing are literally almost the size of my thumb, but they cost like $1.50/round.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Just stopping in to say

Carry on.
^^^ Best post ever

RebelJimmy96: Nice lookin AR. is that a fixed 3 power on the carrying handle?

Sway: your pals image didn't load up right.

**NOT TO STIR THE POT**
I said early on that I didn't want to get into an Apples vs. Apels Or apples vs. oranges debate as the OP showed an interest in a full sized (large frame) 9mm for HD.

Since it has come up a number of times (as opinions) I would like to point out one thing. The 45 ACP is one of the most well recieved cartidges for a hand gun, EVER. It's big, it's heavy, it can punch through stuff, and it would probably hurt like hell. It is also slow, and embarassingly inaccurate. i'm not saying you who grew up with a .45 in one hand and a bottle in the other can't hit what ever impressive thing you would like to point out... I'm saying, ballistically, it's a very sad design.

Now along comes the 9mm. Lighter, faster, sleeker, smaller. Just like any time change is pushed on someone, people complained. They cried and cried and cried and cried. The 9mm is light which means more velocity (a deeper wound channel) but also means less energy on impact (smaller dia. wound channel). Like being hit by a plum vs and orange. The orange will hurt a larger area on a shallower level, but the plum will zing a concentrated spot, with more bruising... Anyway, the 9mm Parabellum gets a bad rap because it was forced on a military who didn't want it, and its just smaller. American's dont want smaller! they want their god damn impallas back, and they want them 22' long!!!

so along comes the 40 s&w. It is embraced initially as the savior of those who carry pistols! it's everything the .45 was (bigger than the 9mm and slow!) and every thing the 9mm was (faster than a .45!) making it the perfect round! It didn't take long for the .40 s&w to earn the nick name .40 slow & weak... In ACTUALL use (not shooting ballistic gel and patting yourself on the back, or shooting cans on youtube) the .40 fell WELL below what the 9mm could do. (which, in all fairness, was below what the .10mm could do before it died out).
The .40 is basically the issued caliber of a police and corrections force that doesn't want to listen to the uniforms bitching about wanting a .45...

at the end of the day it comes down to this: shoot what you can hit your target with, shoot what ever it is your weapon takes, and practice like hell with what ever it is you choose to carry. i'd take a 1911 over a 92F any day for my collection, but i have put literally thousands of round of 9mm on targets, and would not for an instant think of trading it out for ACTUAL carry. <-- call it opinion, but the 92f hasn't failed me yet, and i have years with it on my thigh, and have fired it in anger with adequate results.

Here is some light reading (less than my post actually) on the subject:
This came out in American Handgunner in July of '02. it was a responce piece for the magazine, to all of the soldiers (many of whom were very uniformed and bitching because they had heard others do it) about how weak the 9mm was after almost a 10 months duty in Afghanistan.

Oh and one last thing 5.56mm (.223) owns 7.62mm all day and all night, smaller though it maybe.

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-03-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Starting Member
RebelJimmy96 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
^^^ Best post ever

RebelJimmy96: Nice lookin AR. is that a fixed 3 power on the carrying handle?

Sway: your pals image didn't load up right.

**NOT TO STIR THE POT**
I said early on that I didn't want to get into an Apples vs. Apels Or apples vs. oranges debate as the OP showed an interest in a full sized (large frame) 9mm for HD.

Since it has come up a number of times (as opinions) I would like to point out one thing. The 45 ACP is one of the most well recieved cartidges for a hand gun, EVER. It's big, it's heavy, it can punch through stuff, and it would probably hurt like hell. It is also slow, and embarassingly inaccurate. i'm not saying you who grew up with a .45 in one hand and a bottle in the other can't hit what ever impressive thing you would like to point out... I'm saying, ballistically, it's a very sad design.

Now along comes the 9mm. Lighter, faster, sleeker, smaller. Just like any time change is pushed on someone, people complained. They cried and cried and cried and cried. The 9mm is light which means more velocity (a deeper wound channel) but also means less energy on impact (smaller dia. wound channel). Like being hit by a plum vs and orange. The orange will hurt a larger area on a shallower level, but the plum will zing a concentrated spot, with more bruising... Anyway, the 9mm Parabellum gets a bad rap because it was forced on a military who didn't want it, and its just smaller. American's dont want smaller! they want their god damn impallas back, and they want them 22' long!!!

so along comes the 40 s&w. It is embraced initially as the savior of those who carry pistols! it's everything the .45 was (bigger than the 9mm and slow!) and every thing the 9mm was (faster than a .45!) making it the perfect round! It didn't take long for the .40 s&w to earn the nick name .40 slow & weak... In ACTUALL use (not shooting ballistic gel and patting yourself on the back, or shooting cans on youtube) the .40 fell WELL below what the 9mm could do. (which, in all fairness, was below what the .10mm could do before it died out).
The .40 is basically the issued caliber of a police and corrections force that doesn't want to listen to the uniforms bitching about wanting a .45...

at the end of the day it comes down to this: shoot what you can hit your target with, shoot what ever it is your weapon takes, and practice like hell with what ever it is you choose to carry. i'd take a 1911 over a 92F any day for my collection, but i have put literally thousands of round of 9mm on targets, and would not for an instant think of trading it out for ACTUAL carry. <-- call it opinion, but the 92f hasn't failed me yet, and i have years with it on my thigh, and have fired it in anger with adequate results.

Here is some light reading (less than my post actually) on the subject:
This came out in American Handgunner in July of '02. it was a responce piece for the magazine, to all of the soldiers (many of whom were very uniformed and bitching because they had heard others do it) about how weak the 9mm was after almost a 10 months duty in Afghanistan.

Oh and one last thing 5.56mm (.223) owns 7.62mm all day and all night, smaller though it maybe.
yes sir its 3 power fixed! and the 5.56 does own and the ammo is soo much cheeper!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
blajeans is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Here's my only gun.
Yea thatīs also my choice of a gun if I must choose one. Lucky as I am I dont have to buy a gun for self defense ... and I hope I never have to.
Itīs really fascinating how it differs in our opinion about guns, I figure that itīs pretty common in US that you have a gun, shotgun etc. and over here is really really rare that somebody owns a gun for protection, if they do they are most certainly some kind of criminal ... or a policeman of course.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

the US has an image (whether for better or for worse) as a land of gun toting wildmen.

While the US has gun laws that restrict all of the fun stuff, we also have laws in place that allow for fire arm ownership.

It's actually not all that common in the grand scheme of things.
You either have one or you dont. And if you have one, you probably have a few.

it's odd...

>98% of people that have a gun for home defence/self defence will never use it as such
it's more for that warm and fuzzy feeling that you get from knowing there is a weapon in your bedroom that your kids will screw with someday and shoot thier buddy. keeps the population regulated....

i joke but it's all too common.

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-03-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

15 miles from my hometown the local FarmKing was held up today by a gunman....

Quick Reply: Guns!