Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Help with all my clutch problems in my Kia sportage UGH

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road
Question Help with all my clutch problems in my Kia sportage UGH

Got a 2000 Sportage 4x4 5spd. Tried finding help on Kia forum but well, I just trust this forum as its helped me for years. When I first got my Kia back in Sept it ran great. A month or so later when I would increase speed in 2nd 3rd and every now and then 4th gears, I couldnt reach usual RPMs before hearing a metal grinding sound and having to upshift earlier than I normally would. Also I didnt have much power taking off, and no real power when I would first enter a gear other than 5th. I cut the converter off a month ago cause the insides had fell and it was pointless. From the moment it was cut off, I had awesome power in all gears as well as take off (more power than I had since I bought it) and I could upshift as usual with no metal clanking sound either. The last few weeks though when I start it in the mornings I have a really hard time getting it to go in gear ANY gear, and once its warmed up there isnt any problems. Also, my clutch pedal seemed to be goin further and further to the floor during the last few weeks. Coming home on Thurs I smelled a burning rubber smell and was told my pressure plate is junked. I dont no ne thing about clutches so can ne one explain to me what the he!! is goin on with this thing and its clutch???!!! PLEASE

Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

Also it has 131,500 miles on it if it matters. And Ive never drove in 4wd, and not 100% sure if the 4wd works honestly LOL

Old 02-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member
Curt B is on a distinguished road

Recently I helped a co worker change a clutch in his 2007 Kia Rio (which was just out of warranty) and can tell you it's no fun. There are no shop manuals available and we had to drop the entire front suspension/steering to get it out of there. The clutch slave cylinder had a lame plastic piston which was the initial failure and in turn that trashed the throwout bearing from not fully releasing. A jobber replacement had an aluminum piston as one would expect so in this case at least aftermarket parts were much better than OEM. Expect around $1000 for the dealer to fix it.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Beginning Member
2004Blazerman is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your clutch master might be loosing pressure and you slave might be going too. Your plate probably does need replacing and your clutch pedal might need to be readjusted when all is done. Hope this helps and if there is a Kia dealership around there go and ask the mechanics if they can get you the specs on the tranny so that you can replace them with aftermarket parts.