Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Here's how I spent most of my Friday:)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Here's how I spent most of my Friday:)

Well my buddy that lives an hour away wheels his 4Runner pretty hard, and he goes through transmissions/clutches and such every now and then so he bought a 2nd with rebuilt driveline in it that he was planning on fixing up. After inspecting it more though it wasn't worth fixing, it had a bit of shady frame work and was actually pretty rotten...buuut - The drivetrain was mint, the motor runs smooth as silk and same with the transmission.

He rolled his good 4runner but it was still in pretty good shape minus the front bumper/grill and some body work which he laughs at, so today my brother and I took our tools down and we ripped the driveline except the front and rear axles out from the donor vehicle. We also took the front bumper, grill and random peices from the truck to put on his keeper. I didn't get any pictures myself of the process but he did but I have a few pictures of the engine out and the junker 4runner that will be picked up and brought to the wreckers tomorrow.

The whole process went pretty smooth. We clearanced the top of the radiator support with my angle grinder, same with the exhaust. We kept all the wiring and vacuum hoses intact on the engine and cut the fuel line, rad hoses, and one brake hose to save a bit of time since he doesn't need those parts anyway. Funniest part was using his small Kabota tractor and some chain to pull the engine out. The 4runner that he is keeping is the red one in the distance of one of the pictures, he's putting a new windshield in it on Monday and we're going to troubleshoot an alternator problem for him next weekend. All in all a fun Friday

Last edited by Swain; 04-26-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:29 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

HA! Nice tractor!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like fun!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Starting Member

It was plenty of fun! Today I started putting my lower intake back in, I will post pictures of how clean she is tomorrow if it doesn't rain. The updated injectors are suppose to be in on Monday, funny how I argued with the parts counter about them so I ended up ordering them from rockauto...according to GM you can only buy them individually and they are the same peices of junk I pulled out. PCMforless computer should be in on Tuesday and I have a ported throttle body and air raid intake to put on when all that is in.

Also funny there was NO noticeable leak from the intake manifold gasket but I knew it was leaking very slowly. Sure enough when I pulled it apart one of the gaskets were slightly broken, and also noticed in the plenum two of my fuel injectors were leaking so I am very happy I pulled it apart!

Also received my PowerPerformance front end kit but I got 3 upper and 1 lower balljoint. Jason from synergy is hooking me up and shipping out the lower on Monday so I will get pictures of that install next week hopefully. A lot of work on the Blazer but it should be like a new truck when its done, just in time for some Mud

Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Starting Member

And the tractor is sweet, my buddy left all his tools outwest but thankfully I have been racking up a nice collection. Suprisingly we never forgot a single wire or line and once we hooked up the chains the engine came out with little trouble using the Kabota some chains a pry bar and a huge jack. Might be considered ghetto but it definitely worked perfect!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Starting Member

Updated with more pictures!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 PM
calgsblaza is an unknown quantity at this point

haha I like the human counterweight

Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Starting Member

When pulling it out either of the rear tires on the kabota would lift 6-8" so we jumped on the back haha. Certainly not the safest method to rip out an engine but anytime we were under the truck it was blocked under the front wheels, and blocked at the back, with the giant jack helping to relieve some pressure. Stubborn driveshaft bolts required a few minutes of propane lol everything else was smooth.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Man you weren't kidding when you said the frame was rotten haha.

Looks like fun!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Starting Member

The passenger LCA was held on with some snobby looking booger welds, whoever repaired(if you could call it that) didn't even grind off the excess wire they left from not having a sufficient ground while welding. On a good not I got my new injectors today and once again the Blazer is under it's own power, PCMforless computer should be in tomorrow WOOP WOOP.