Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

How I Spent Some Of My Thanksgiving...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:36 AM
KFC_Or_Bust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How I Spent Some Of My Thanksgiving...

After dinner at the future in-law's me and a buddy of mine who just purchased a sweet 94 Blazer LT decided to go christian his car with some good ol' fashioned mudding and water forging. So we go into the pit and are tearin it up in 2wd, none of it is difficult, it's all flat for the most part and just an easy place to get dirty without killing yourself. I've been hitting up this particular spot a lot over the past three weeks or so and I've traversed it all in 2wd with bald tires without a hiccup.

So I go into this one river, it's fairly deep, over the black moulding on the doors and about 6-8 inches deeper in a few parts. Nothing difficult though, no ruts or anything, like I said 2wd and bald tires are all I need(ed) to make it through this. Well I roll into it nice and slow and proceed down the 200 foot long river for about 50 feet and all of a sudden the front end drops down significantly so I immediately push it into 4hi and floor it once it engages. No dice, by the time it engaged all 4 tires were off the ground underwater and I was highsided like a **** and it was A LOT deeper than it had been lately, I think a truck with big tires ripped it in 2wd over the past couple days... So I stick my head out the window and was like "Damn this water is getting awful high..." and about then water starts slowly seeping in through the bottom of the doors. Of course I had to open my door to make sure it was really there and what happens? Yup, flooded the interior with 6 inches of water.

I jumped into the back seat to grab my 30 foot tow chain and told my buddy to go on the river bank so he could pull me out from the front. Climbed out my open drivers side back window since the two front ones don't roll down and slid down the roof onto the hood. Mind you it's <40 out and raining at a good pace and I got just a t-shirt on because I couldn't make it out the window with my new bulky jacket. So I'm on my stomach on the hood reaching down up to my elbows in frigid water to loop the chain around my tow hook and attach it to itself. So after getting hypothermia and throwing the chain to my buddy I climb back into my car to find out the water is at least a foot high on the floor now! My gas and brake pedals are gone in the muddy water and my two passengers are seeking refuge on their seats and about this time is when my engine stalls. I thought I might've sucked up too much water because it was obviously running choppy since practically the whole engine bay was under water.

But like the good 4.3 it is I just floored it and pressed the key forward and it started right back up. It took my buddy 4 very hard yanks to pull me out of that rut and when we opened the doors and all the water came out like a waterfall I nearly peed myself, I finally broke my cherry as far as flooding the interior goes.

Cliff Notes: Went mudding, got stuck in a deep river, flooded interior and got yanked out by another Blazer. Good way to spend Thanksgiving!!!

**EDIT for language**

Old 11-24-2006, 07:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How I Spent Some Of My Thanksgiving...

Sounds like you had fun!!

I didn't flood my interior or anything, but there is still mud dripping off the underside (and burning off my exhaust) on my Bravada! I decided to use the Bravada to get down to the woods yesterday morning instead of taking dad's farm truck. Everything was nice and frozen when we went down and well... Not so frozen when we came back. Wasn't a problem for the AWD, but man you should have seen the clods of mud falling off the undercarriage once back up to the shop! 3" of greasy mess on top of frozen ground makes for some good fun!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

wow!!! now that is a story!!! cool cool...as we say around here...any day mudding...is great if ya can drive home!

Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 AM
TheDesertFox is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, almost the exact same thing happened to me, only yours is a little worst. But hey join the club, it aint muddinn til you've flooded your interior

Old 12-02-2006, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what your talking about.

great story. I highly recommend you ditch the chain and buy a strap. The life you save may be your own.