Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Legal question: max bumper/frame clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Legal question: max bumper/frame clearance

allright so i've been looking all over google and the sec. of state for this answer. i have an 8" lift with 35" tires on my k5. i know the state and county regulate the max bumper and frame clearance from the road. im wondering if im gonna have to do anything or if my truck is already legal. this is in Michigan. which idk if my county would have different regualtion from the state. cause for example if i got to silver lake and one of the countys i have to go through states my truck is illegal so i would have to avoid that part of the trip. so my question is will the state/county differ on this and does anyone know for Michigan what the clearance size is?

Old 02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I would get ahold of the local cops and inquire to them, I know there was a cop here that had a lifted jeep about 3in to tall on the bumper, but I have heard stories of some of the stuff just getting let off because its not TOO extreme, but every cop is different...

Old 02-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

yeah i was thinking of doing that but if i did its kinda of like a heads up for them. its gonna be on the road its just a matter of how much. if its legal or not. we only have like 3 cops where i live and they kinda like to look into things. for example: "hey i was wondering if a truck with 8" of lift would be legal on the roads around here"

cop-"now why would you ask a question like that"
me-"ugh....just curious"

i'll probably just go to the police station and ask that way local ones aren't trailing me. i found this too

Michigan
Lift blocks between the front axle and springs, or lift blocks that exceed 4 inches in height between the rear axle and springs, are not allowed. Shackle replacements cannot exceed the OE length by more than 2 inches, and ixnay on the coil-spring spacers. In terms of acceptable height, less than 4,501 GVWR, and your frame height cannot exceed 24 inches, and the bumper height can't go beyond 26 inches. For GVWRs between 4,501 and 7,500, those numbers are 24 and 28 inches. For 7,501- to 10,000-pound vehicles, keep the height at 26 and 30 inches

Old 02-21-2010, 03:15 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

well sometimes the lack of the law will also create tickets.... Cops who do not know the law exactly are more likely to attempt to enforce it....

There was a cop in IL over closer to Iowa, and he didn't know some exhaust laws, so my friend had his 91 supra pulled over constantly because of a "extensively modified exhaust," and it was just a local cop not knowing the law regarding the noise limits from it...

Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

ive had a "illegal truck" for 9 years. in illinois. had a k5 with 4inches and 33s was a inch over the limit. and indiana is something stupid like no higher then 4 inches over stock.

my offroad truck had 8 inches and 38s and i never got pulled over or harassed. i played it smart. i knew that thing attracted alot of attention and never sped or did anything stupid in public. everyone i know who gets busted for lift laws are doing burnouts, or donuts or something along that line. i know there are cops that will get you just for that.

michican says you have a bumper height of 26-30 inches depending on weight of vehicle.

if worse comes to worse you can make drop bumpers that can come off

Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by abig84
ive had a "illegal truck" for 9 years. in illinois. had a k5 with 4inches and 33s was a inch over the limit. and indiana is something stupid like no higher then 4 inches over stock.

my offroad truck had 8 inches and 38s and i never got pulled over or harassed. i played it smart. i knew that thing attracted alot of attention and never sped or did anything stupid in public. everyone i know who gets busted for lift laws are doing burnouts, or donuts or something along that line. i know there are cops that will get you just for that.

michican says you have a bumper height of 26-30 inches depending on weight of vehicle.

if worse comes to worse you can make drop bumpers that can come off

do you think the k5 would fall into the larger of the 2 weights