Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

PS3 to vga lcd monitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Beginning Member
irish13tag is on a distinguished road
Default PS3 to vga lcd monitor

I wanted to share this info with anyone who might be interested. A few months back, my neighbor across the street threw out a couple of computer monitors. A 22" lcd LG monitor and a 15" Dell lcd monitor. He had them sitting out by the trash. So I figured what the hell, I'll hook them up to see if they even work. Well they did and still do. Well my boys got a ps3 160 gb from this past Christmas and I had it hooked up to my really old 13" tv. I mean this thing is dang near 20 yrs old. Anyway, I wanted to use the PS3 on the 22" lcd but had no clue how to do. It took me about a month of research online and trying different things to get the PS3 multi a/v port wired up to the vga input of the monitor. I HAVE FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT AND IT WORKS AWESOME!!!!!

Here is what I did-
The playstation (original, ps2 or 3) cable can have up to 12 pins. Most cables that come with the PS3 only use 5 pins. The 4 on the left is for the audio and the 5th is video. I needed all 12 pins, at least have the pins there so I could solder to them.
The vga plug has 15 pins with no audio, so I was a bit confused how to do this. This is what I have come up with.

PS3 pin diagram- AS YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE PLUG FROM LEFT TO RIGHT

1-RIGHT GROUND (AUDIO) 2-RIGHT AUDIO (RED RCA COMPOSITE AUDIO PLUG) 3-LEFT GROUND (AUDIO) 4- LEFT AUDIO (WHITE RCA COMPOSITE AUDIO PLUG) 5-Y (USED FOR S VIDEO) 6-SYNC (YELLOW RCA COMPOSITE VIDEO PLUG) 7-C (ALSO USED FOR S VIDEO) 8-VIDEO GROUND (ON MY PLUG IT WAS ALSO GROUNDED TO THE AUDIO) 9-BLUE (RGB) 10-+5 VOLTS (MINE DIDN'T HAVE A WIRE ATTACHED) 11- RED (RGB) 12- GREEN (RGB)

VGA pin diagram- I bought a male vga end and housing from radio shack.
I am only listing the pins I used to connect the monitor. I also used a CAT 5 Ethernet cable because I don't use all the pins.

1-RED RGB (I USED THE ORANGE WIRE) 2-GREEN RGB (I USED THE GREEN WIRE) 3- BLUE RGB (I USED THE BLUE WIRE) 5- GROUND 6-RED RGB GROUND ( I USED THE ORANGE WITH WHITE STRIPE) 7-GREEN RGB GROUND (I USED THE GREEN WITH WHITE STRIPE WIRE) 8-BLUE RGB GROUND (I USED THE BLUE WITH WHITE STRIPE WIRE) 10-SGRND, SYNC GROUND (I USED THE BROWN WITH WHITE STRIPE AND SOLDERED IT TO PINS 1,3 AND 8) 13-HSYNC/CSYNC, HORIZONTAL OR COMPOSITE SYNC (I USED THE BROWN WIRE AND SOLDERED IT TO PIN 6 FROM THE PS3)

Now for audio, I just soldered old rca plugs (red and white) to the PS3 cable so I can hook up my stereo for sound.

Now you have to change your video settings on the PS3 so your monitor will recognize the input from the PS3.
Go to settings, display settings, video output settings, select AV MULTI/SCART, RGB and then the resolution your lcd will support. Mine supports 720p, and some might be higher or lower.

Let me know if any one needs further assistance or a better explanation on how I did this. I had fun with this indoor project and it saved me a ton of money by not purchasing a new hi-def tv.

Attached Thumbnails PS3 to vga lcd monitor-ps3-lcd.jpg  

Last edited by irish13tag; 01-30-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: changing settings on the PS3
Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Starting Member
vishvesh098 is on a distinguished road

I have some questions on making of this circuit,
did you used sync separator IC ?
are the colors washed out ? or they looks crispy on monitor ?