Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Question about Saturn Vue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
camino88 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Saturn Vue

I have yet another question about a different car. My parents have a 2003 Saturn Vue it has the V6 and it is AWD. Well they where driving the other day and it suddenly felt like it did have any power. They where certain that the tranny went out. Well when they had it towed to the dealer they told them that the front 2 catalytic converters where messed up and where throwing crap back and clogging up the back 1. Well that did not sound right to me. So if anyone has other ideas i wold love to hear them. They other question I have is if that is the problem, could i just take of the front to converters and put on fake ones or do i have to spend all the money and put 2 new ones.

Any ideas welcome
Thanks

Old 01-07-2010, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

The problem is it's a Saturn . lol, sorry, couldn't resist. I HATE Saturns. I think they are garbage. But that's just my opinion
Anyway, Do you happen to know if it was throwing any codes? If so, what were the codes?
I took a browse through a saturn forum for vue's, and after doing a little searching and reading it looks like a lot of Saturn dealerships like to replace cat covertors. I saw a lot of posts stating the dealership wanted to replace them so it might just be a legit problem.

Here is the forum I went to. Not sure if you want to go browsing through there...
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

My in-laws also have an AWD Vue that suddenly died on them, within a very short time of purchase. I can't wait to plug my code reader into it to see what it says, because they too think it's the tranny, but I'm not convinced. I will come back and let you guys know what it said.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:37 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I've seen cats clog up on vehicles and codes not being thrown... It's very likely that's the problem.

A plugged cat causes the engine to lose power because it can't get the exhaust quick enough.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, I'll be sure to also check those. Thanks for the info. And I haven't forgotten that I still need to get you those pix. I know, I'm a slacker...

Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Well if it is the cat converters is there anyway i can fix it without replace both converters? and i also agree i hate Saturn but what ya going do it is my parents car

Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Catalytic converters have a 8yr/80k mile warranty mandated by the federal government. If you fall in this category, the dealership must replace them.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM

Well it is a 03 and it has 93k on it so i do not think we fall in that category because i imagine that is which ever one comes first right either the 8 yr or the 80k

Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't state the mileage in your initial post so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 PM

It was defiantly worth mentioning because i think the converters have been replaced once before so they might fit into that warranty I learn so many things from this site