Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

"Redneck" repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Starting Member
kenny100034 is on a distinguished road
Default "Redneck" repairs

So yesterday I drove 2 hrs from my house with my girlfriend to bring her to get her wisdom teeth pulled. When we got there I had a rather large puddle of coolant under my blazer turns out the lower radiator hose had sprung a decent leak. I had duct tape and napkins to patch it with and it made it the whole way home without getting to 210 and my patch job hadnt leaked at all. So what crazy improvised repairs has anyone else had to perform on their blazer.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I did the same thing on my 94 when I had it, but it was the upper, basically i was about 50 miles away, and the radiator cracked at the nipple, and I had to get home the next day, so I dried off and cleaned everything up real well, put a real thick layer of JB quick over it, and as it was setting up, I wrapped it up with about a half a roll of gorilla tape, it made it home, actually made it another month until I had to get another radiator LOL

Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Starting Member
bear159 is on a distinguished road

My old air intake was just about all electrical tape, it would always crack and rip so I just put more electrical tape on every time. A few months ago it got so bad it would just fall apart every week, so I had to go to a scrap yard and pull one off a blazer to put on mine.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Not my Blazer but on my old 4runner I gimped it home (and to work the next day) with a ratchet strap holding the lower control arm together.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

was backing into a parking spot and the shift linkage pop'd off
I put a wire tie around the cable and ball arm to hold it on to go home

Same car broke a spring in the clutch flex plate and jammed between the flex plate and the flywheel bolts
locked the clutch up and I almost rear ended a car ahead of me at a red light
I unplugged the neutral safety switch so I could start it in gear
Shifted into neutral every time I needed to stop
Shifted without the clutch to drive the rest of the way to work and back home
The pisser was it was a brand new clutch assembly

Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Gads, there have been so many things I've cobbled to get home, I have trouble remembering all of them.

Busted hose? Tape it up with duct tape and loosen the radiator cap one notch. It'll lose a little and you won't have much heat but it'll get you home by not building pressure and losing all your coolant.

Broken belt? A piece of thin rope.

Transmission got hot and slipping? (This will NOT work on modern cars) A table spoon of brake fluid to make the bands swell. (This WILL ruin electronic sensors.)

Wipers fail in the rain? Cut a potato flat and rub it on the windshield. It's smeary and a bit warped but the rain will roll off like Rain-X.

Heavy fog and no fog lights? (This only works on round headlights.) Tape the top third of the headlight with several layers of duct tape. It cuts the top of the light beam off and eliminates glare on the fog.

Hungry going down the road and running late so you can't stop to eat? A can of Beef Stew on the exhaust manifold for about 60 miles and you have a hot meal. Just don't forget to poke a couple of steam holes in it, otherwise BOOM!

Broken steel brake line at one wheel? Fold the broken end over and pound it flat. Just don't hit the brakes hard and three wheel brakes will do just fine for a little while.

Shock fell off because of a bad bushing! You've got another bushing but you can't get it in? Some K-Y jelly on the bushing and a little water on the steel ring on the shock and it will slide right in with a little pressure. Careful, it can pop straight up and fly. "C" clamps work best.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 PM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road

today a lady pulled up to where k work and said her window was stuck down, and it was supposed to rain later on. So all I had was ELECTRICAL tape. Pulled the window out of the door And taped it up, inside and out to keep it up for a frw days till she can get it fixed.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Starting Member
95BlackGA is an unknown quantity at this point

I wrapped my buddy's intake hose with Gorilla tape. It was on a Dodge Neon and the throttle body has a hose between it and the intake manifold. Had a hole in the hose, so the engine would run high RPM. I wrapped it in Gorilla tape to so he could get it home. He still has it on there. That was over a year ago. He's not good on cars. Has put over 30k+ miles on his current oil change...

Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bear159
My old air intake was just about all electrical tape, it would always crack and rip so I just put more electrical tape on every time. A few months ago it got so bad it would just fall apart every week, so I had to go to a scrap yard and pull one off a blazer to put on mine.
i NEED to find one for mine the next time I am at the yard, it seals, but the underside is all chewed away, and should just be replaced. <- dancing banana

Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rexazz2

Same car broke a spring in the clutch flex plate and jammed between the flex plate and the flywheel bolts
locked the clutch up and I almost rear ended a car ahead of me at a red light
I unplugged the neutral safety switch so I could start it in gear
Shifted into neutral every time I needed to stop
Shifted without the clutch to drive the rest of the way to work and back home
The pisser was it was a brand new clutch assembly
My dad had to do that a few years back in his '62 Volvo. Same thing, kill it at stop lights, start it up in gear, and float the gears driving down the road. I'm pretty good with a stick shift, but I can't shift without the clutch. I've tried a few times on my cobalt, it just resulted in a horrible grinding noise, and my wife yelling at me.

Quick Reply: "Redneck" repairs