Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Switch Fuel Sender from Jimmy to Buick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough
Default Switch Fuel Sender from Jimmy to Buick?

Hi all!

While I'm waiting to get the transmission back for my wife's 93 Jimmy I'm working on my Buick, a 93 LeSabre. I got it to drive while I'm working on the Jimmy and my wife has my Blazer. The Buick was a great deal: $700 and only 100,000 miles on it. The paint is peeling off the roof but I'll repaint later when the weather warms up. The other problem is that the fuel gauge doesn't work. I've already run one bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner through the Buick and it hasn't helped. I've got another bottle standing by waiting until this tank of fuel is nearly used up.

I also have a wrecked 94 Jimmy that I've been picking parts off. It got a new fuel pump and sending unit in August of 09. Since it looks like I may need to replace the sending unit on the Buick does anyone know if I can pull the sending unit out of the tank of the Jimmy and use it in the Buick? It would save me a bunch of money.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

I have no idea, but you might check part numbers by looking up the 94 Jimmy sending unit and the Buick and see if both have the same part number listed.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

im gonna go out on a limb and say no, the pump/sending units are made for the tank theyre sitting in, or the tank theyre sitting in was made for them (in an aftermarket diesel tank replacement.

but its just a non educated guess. i bet its one of those things you could try and do, then tell us if it worked!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I have more information...

The part numbers don't match. The interchange for the Buick fuel sender is with its cousins (Olds 88, Pontiac Bonneville). The Jimmy sender interchanges with (not surprisingly) Blazers, Bravadas, S-10s and Sonomas. I saw a video on YouTube of someone who used the variable resistor from a 2nd Gen Blazer sender to repair the sender for a LeSabre but that's as close as I got.

The reason for doing the swap is moot now as I found out why the gauge in the Buick isn't working; the #6 fuse was missing. I replaced the fuse and now it works. The check engine light is also on, which I didn't know because the fuse was missing. Now I can troubleshoot the codes while I wait for the tranny rebuild for the Jimmy.

Thanks for all the suggestions (and for moving the thread to the proper forum)!