Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Texting and driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Beginning Member
BLOND1WD is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll admit to texting and driving. However, I came across a bb app called Drivesafe.ly. For the free app it reads incominng texts out loud. For a small yearly fee, it will also read emails and use voice response to reply to the text. This app is a awesome, and could very well be lifesaving.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Starting Member
Debonair is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BLOND1WD
I'll admit to texting and driving. However, I came across a bb app called Drivesafe.ly. For the free app it reads incominng texts out loud. For a small yearly fee, it will also read emails and use voice response to reply to the text. This app is a awesome, and could very well be lifesaving.
i downloaded that but never got it to work right. and it would randomly say things like "drive safe. ly is now engaged" or something like that without me doing anything, even if my phone was on silent.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

I'm anti-phone. I'll admit to laughing when someone kisses a tree or the back end of a semi because they were staring at their phone. Go to youtube.com and look up "lady falls in fountain texting". It's funny and no one had to die.

Hangup and DRIVE!!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 98HeavyChevy
Go to youtube.com and look up "lady falls in fountain texting". It's funny and no one had to die.
i saw that!! hilarious

Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Shes suing the mall. She severely hurt her back and no one came to help her. I still kinda laugh because she was so involved in the text that she walked into a fountain. Like come on!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Starting Member

i heard that, i also heard that she was/is wanted as well

Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Really. I didn't get that far in the news story about her. She talks kinda funny and was hard for me to pay attention lol

Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road

It's amazing what some people try to sue people for... It's disgusting, actually.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Not the texting one but just as important
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS1enJr49os
that one was hard to watch @ the 1:52 mark.

Originally Posted by cochran07
Part of the problem as well is its not really enforced. I guarantee if cops start pulling over teens and the govt would let em slap a $500 dollar ticket and like 100 community service hours MINIMUM I guarantee people will quit!. I think harsh punishments though.
that is exactly the biggest issue with the battle against using a handheld device while driving.

i guarentee, if the fines that were handed out the 1st time were big-AND NOT ABLE TO BE REDUCED-there would be a hugh decrease in offences happening.

it all comes down to how well people can actually drive, regardless o fwhat may be in their hand.

while i'll admit i've had a few close calls due to distraction (and we're not limiting that to a cell) it's the fact that people seem to forget what they were doing before they answered that call/text.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr

it all comes down to how well people can actually drive, regardless of what may be in their hand.
This is what is boils down to. Now with cellular technology the way it is that's the biggest distraction. It comes down to distractions vs. staying focused.
I hit a lady with my first car. I was drinking from a water bottle and not really paying attention to what she was doing ahead of me. Fortunately I only rumpled her rear quarter panel and everyone was ok.

In addition to big fines for first offenses (any unavoidable distraction inc cell use, eating, etc) I think they should give people road/written tests to renew their license. Even if it were every other renewal you'd see a lot of people failing. They also need to standardize the test to get your license across all states. In NH you have to score better than 80% on the written and road test. In NY where I am now you only need 70% (last I knew about 10 years ago anyway). Thus NY has 10% more bad drivers on the road.

I read a number of years ago Florida tried to pass a law requiring written/road tests to renew after a certain age. But with all the elderly voters in that state and the younger voters who couldn't be bothered to show up at the polls the bill got shot down.

Quick Reply: Texting and driving