Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Thinking of getting another car

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough
Default Thinking of getting another car

With gas getting more and more expensive and the km's starting to run up there on the blazer im thinking of retiring the blazer to the winter, offroading and towing the trailer and getting something a little bit better on gas for the highway travels and summer. With the amount of driving I do the amount I will save in gas makes up the car payment.
Have been looking at a few cars, an 03-04 pontiac vibe preferrably a GT (more HP). A chevy cruze Eco or maybe a Sonic when they come out in a few months.. The vibe would be the worst on fuel out of all of them, im still waiting to see the comparisons on fuel economy between the cruze eco and the Sonic......then through looking at cars i come across a few supercharged and turbocharged cobalts, although they are a bit more on gas they are still less than the blazer and the little bit more power is pretty much the only thing that makes me go.hmmmm.....any thoughts?.............................(and several people have suggested a TDI to me, the problem is if i end up using it in the winter I live in Winnipeg and it wont start in the winter unless I always have it plugged in when it gets really cold, that and they are a bit more pricey)

Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by streblo
With gas getting more and more expensive and the km's starting to run up there on the blazer im thinking of retiring the blazer to the winter, offroading and towing the trailer and getting something a little bit better on gas for the highway travels and summer. With the amount of driving I do the amount I will save in gas makes up the car payment.
Have been looking at a few cars, an 03-04 pontiac vibe preferrably a GT (more HP). A chevy cruze Eco or maybe a Sonic when they come out in a few months.. The vibe would be the worst on fuel out of all of them, im still waiting to see the comparisons on fuel economy between the cruze eco and the Sonic......then through looking at cars i come across a few supercharged and turbocharged cobalts, although they are a bit more on gas they are still less than the blazer and the little bit more power is pretty much the only thing that makes me go.hmmmm.....any thoughts?.............................(and several people have suggested a TDI to me, the problem is if i end up using it in the winter I live in Winnipeg and it wont start in the winter unless I always have it plugged in when it gets really cold, that and they are a bit more pricey)
I know you haven't mentioned it yet, but what about something like a hyundai sonata or hyundai elantra the new ones. They get 40 mpg with decent power(at least the sonata has decent power lol).

Or like you said, I have heard good things about the chevy cruze. That might be worth it. Whatever you get, are you going to mod it a bit? Haha just wondering.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:34 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

You could get a chevy aveo lol my dad has one as a commuter car, kind of a gutless wonder but It still moves and gets good milage. Haha or if you don't want to be seen driving an egg, like tibby said the Hyundai's are good too.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 PM

ya ive thought of the hyundais but im super picky on looks and dont really care for the look of them, same goes for the aveo that and the fact it is gutless, the sonic will have more horsepower and better fuel economy than the aveo.

And of course stuff will be getting changed, its not going to get used in the winter so I will drive the blazer then, so I have a few months where I dont have to move it so I will have lots of time to mod it. If it was a cruze or sonic i would only get the 1.4 Turbo engine, so an intercooler would probably be the first step.
Then the blazer gets parked in the summer for most of the time so i can take care of a few rust spots and slowly pick away at a few things

Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

I've got three friends that just bought Cobalt SS's in the past 6 months. One of them traded it in on a 2003 F150 and has regretted it ever since lol. IMO, the Cobalt SS offers a pretty good medium between fast and economic. I like the Cruze too, I've only seen the Sonic a couple times and I'm not really a fan. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Red 96'
I've got three friends that just bought Cobalt SS's in the past 6 months. One of them traded it in on a 2003 F150 and has regretted it ever since lol. IMO, the Cobalt SS offers a pretty good medium between fast and economic. I like the Cruze too, I've only seen the Sonic a couple times and I'm not really a fan. Good luck!
do they have a ss supercharged or ss turbo?

pretty much any car is going to get better mileage than the blazer, just have to decide if i want to go pretty much as fuel efficient as you can get or spare a bit for power.....i like the sonic in pictures but have yet to see it in person, which can change everything

Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure the Cobalt is supercharged. I'm partial to the Vibe personally. A supercharged Vibe would be interesting

Old 08-11-2011, 11:48 PM

the 2009 and 2010 cobalts are turbo charged with an extra 60hp over the supercharged, brings it up to 260hp. they had to switch as the engine with the supercharger didnt meet emission standards.

I really like the vibe to, but only the 03 and 04 models, dont care for anything 05 or newer when they smoothed out the front end. The GT model is nice with the 6 speed and about 180hp, we used to have an 03 vibe GT and I miss it, it was fun, redlined at 8,100rpm. you shifted from 2nd at redline doing about 90kmh. A supercharged or turbo vibe would be interesting.
The GT is only about 20 hp less than a supercharged cobalt and uses .5 L/100km less than the vibe on the highway, gets the same in the city. The turbocharged version is the same in the city and .1 L/100km less on the highway than the vibe gt (and an extra 80hp). But will see what I end up getting, havent decided if I want to spend 6g or 16g.