Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

title issues..opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default title issues..opinions?

Ok guys..well as some know i have been thinking bout getting a new car,well the bravada although its my truck i have the keys and full control over it,it still has the old owners name on the title..idk i agreed to the arrangement then cuz i needed a ride and they said they would sign it over to me asap(course that never did occur)
well recently my dad suggested to me that i just have the person sign the truck over to me so i fully legally own it and continue to use it as alotta ****s been fixed on it by me..well i brought this up with the title holder and they have decided that they want $800 from me to sign it over,essentially selling me my own damn truck..now im thinking bout saying **** off and buying another car,just leaving them w/ the bravada because i have put a good $500 into it after i drop the $800 to get it in my name on the title.
So whats the opinions here..is my formally generous relative trying to dick me over and make a lil $ off me and should i just get another car and say screw them cuz it does need approx $500 in repairs/replacements to be in top shape or... pay them the $800 and make the truck legally mine..

what are some of Ur opinions.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

That blows, I would forge the signature, get papers in my name, then there isnt much that jerk previous owner can do, then go trade it in before the PO could do anything about it anyways... Possession is 9 tenths of the law... They arent going to pursue it, it would cost the owner more in legal fees than the 800 they are asking for, and they cant prove that they didnt sign it over - The judge would think they are just wanting more money for it. Just make a good forgery that you get a friend to sign so its not in your writing, the person at the registry doesnt know what the PO signature looks like, nor do they care. I bought a trailer from a guy that didnt even own the trailer (someone had abandoned it on his property for a year or more), and when it came time for me to have a copy of a bill of sale from the owner, I wasnt able to get it. When I went to register it, I was able to find out the name of the legal owner, and thats the name I had my friend sign on the bill of sale I filled out. Done. Now its in my name. And next time, get papers in YOUR name before you spend a dime on fixing something.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Am I reading it right that this is a relative hosing you down like this? Sounds like you maybe need to get the rest of the clan to put the squeeze on them to do the right thing. Barring that, legally you're screwed unless you have something in writing like a bill of sale and it doesn't have to be a fancy one either. Sometimes we have to pay for our education. I know some of my tuition has been expensive over the years. I'd probably try to cut a lower price deal with them of you don't make any headway with the guilt trip method. I certainly wouldn't give it back to them.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
Am I reading it right that this is a relative hosing you down like this? Sounds like you maybe need to get the rest of the clan to put the squeeze on them to do the right thing. Barring that, legally you're screwed unless you have something in writing like a bill of sale and it doesn't have to be a fancy one either. Sometimes we have to pay for our education. I know some of my tuition has been expensive over the years. I'd probably try to cut a lower price deal with them of you don't make any headway with the guilt trip method. I certainly wouldn't give it back to them.
yup you got it..one of the few relatives that i am relatively close to and have been around alot,and as for getting the rest of the clan to pressure em to do the right thing,my family isn't that close,in fact the only thing that really links us together is blood and holidays so no chance there,ik i ****ed up not getting a bill of sale or something in writing but hey..ya think you will be able to trust family.Im still trying to convince the person to honor the original deal but if that fails im prolly gonna take your suggestion of negotiating a lower price,but yeah i def agree on not giving it back..id just be letting them win at that point.

Last edited by 97Bravada; 03-10-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Business is business. Never do business with friends or family becuase then you will have neither unless everything is spelled out on paper ie contract. You're in a tough spot if you have reciepts then that might help your cause.

So you've put said $500.00 into the vehicle or it needs $500.00 in order to keep running properly? Or is this an additional $500.00 to what you have already invested? Also what was the original contract or obligation? From what I read this vehicle was on loan to you right? Meaning that you are responsible for insurance, maintanence, damages etc. So do you really want this vehicle or do you want a new one?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by bigkhans
Business is business. Never do business with friends or family becuase then you will have neither unless everything is spelled out on paper ie contract. You're in a tough spot if you have reciepts then that might help your cause.

So you've put said $500.00 into the vehicle or it needs $500.00 in order to keep running properly? Or is this an additional $500.00 to what you have already invested? Also what was the original contract or obligation? From what I read this vehicle was on loan to you right? Meaning that you are responsible for insurance, maintanence, damages etc. So do you really want this vehicle or do you want a new one?
OK..the truck was given to me by the person,they worded it just like that themselves,but they couldn't locate the title at the time and told me that when they find it they will sign it over to me and stupidly i took their word for it..so really,legally its not mine,but in terms of possessing it and doing Wtf ever i wanna to it..its mine.
And it still runs ok but needs approx $500 in repairs/replacement parts to get it in to tip top shape.it needs a full tune up,cv shaft replaced, front brake rotors,drivers side HL,front bumper cover fixed,and a abs sensor fixed.so idk if that all equals $500.00 but i figure that should cover it all.and to be honest i like the bravada and how its a good audio base and the full-time awd is kick *** for getting out of snow or mud..
but the horrable mpgs are killing me and if i get a job i just applied for at an airline that means currently $10 a day in gas.and at 50 bux a week in gas and i don't want that so i do want a better mpg car.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

So this has gone from giving you the vehicle to they want $800.00 for a clean title. It comes down to you in the end. Do you have enought in it to justify paying the $800.00 for a clean title not with standing the repairs that still need to be completed; you've been the driver of said vehicle not them. Now that this has come up how long will the owner continue to let you have this before they demand either the money or the vehicle?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Not much to wonder about here. The original owner is still in legal possession of the title and truck. If you forge a signature on the title and get caught (can't believe anybody would advise you to do that ), then you are up the creek without a paddle.
Your options are obvious.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by bigkhans
So this has gone from giving you the vehicle to they want $800.00 for a clean title. It comes down to you in the end. Do you have enought in it to justify paying the $800.00 for a clean title not with standing the repairs that still need to be completed; you've been the driver of said vehicle not them. Now that this has come up how long will the owner continue to let you have this before they demand either the money or the vehicle?
thats my delemma,im trying to avoid that end result..the main reason that i might even consider this option is the fact that ik the vehicle and know its issues..and really me personally..no i dont have enough invested to warrant the $800 but its either
A) that or buy a used car weither from a dealer or individual and not be sure of its issues or
B) be sure of the truck and its repairs..
thats my main concern.Am i gonna get another car and then find it needs a crap load of stuff and never be sure of how much i'll need to put into it or keep the vehicle were ik what it needs and can plan on a fairly certain $ amount in repairs..thats people is my dilemma.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Maybe take the cost of repairs and tell them they pay you that or you pay the difference?

they say 800
You say 500

800-500=300?

Quick Reply: title issues..opinions?