The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Title/ownership fight... Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:17 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

*Merged threads now unlocked*

Old 12-23-2010, 09:46 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 01BlackBeauty
Insurance companies will not issue a policy to a minor.
says who? you?

no looking to add fuel to the fire, but i owned & insured my own vehicle loooong before my 18th birthday.

now i know laws differ from State to State, and Province to Province, but i'm sure it's not illegal to own a vehicle under the age of 18.

hell! i had a vehicle in my name @ 15.

@ Phil: you probably know the best answer to my above question, care to fill us in?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

It may vary state to state on if you can take out insurance policies under 18. I know I've been on my own policy since I was 16.

JTalley, you're in a hard spot because any attorney could easily get you out of this since your friend is a witness and the cops are being biased based on a current friendship with your dad, but that'll cost you. Those cops could lose their jobs actually. If you can manage to get an attorney I would strongly advise it. Look into if any nearby stores may have caught the collision on a camera. That could be a big help to you if this were to go to any form of court. If your dad left any marks on you then theres your physical evidence of aggravated battery. If he did, then tomorrow go to another cop, no way that every cop knows your dad and is in good standings with him, unless you live in a VERY small town.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:36 AM
IrvJr is on a distinguished road

I agree with Phil. Talk to a lawyer. Maybe he know a PI that can help out. Just the act of that lawyer poking around the case should loosen up those "dirty" cops. He could also help in emancipation, which i suggest wholeheartedly.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:24 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by IrvJr
I agree with Phil. Talk to a lawyer. Maybe he know a PI that can help out. Just the act of that lawyer poking around the case should loosen up those "dirty" cops. He could also help in emancipation, which i suggest wholeheartedly.
absolutely! it's time to cut that cord brother. sound like it's long overdue.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:05 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I agree, time to be on your own. Any other family that could help you? BTW perhaps I missed this, but where are you from?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:53 PM
BF Guru

i believe his location said Sulphur, OK.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
says who? you?

no looking to add fuel to the fire, but i owned & insured my own vehicle loooong before my 18th birthday.
Things may be different North of the border, but in the U.S. the age of majority is determined individually by each state. In Mississippi the age of majority is 21. In Alabama and Nebraska it is 19. In the other 47 states it is 18. So, even though some states will allow a minor to "own" a vehicle (which is considered a luxury item and exempt from the law) a minor can not enter into a legally binding contract - such as an insurance policy. Any contract a minor enters into can be invalidated or disaffirmed. According to the law, a minor is not capable of understanding and weighing the consequences of a contract. Because of this, a minor can not be held to the terms of a contract. This is also the same reason an insurance company will not issue a policy to a minor. The only exception would be if the minor was emancipated which would relieve their parent(s) or guardian from legal responsibilty. A minor can have a policy issued with their name on it - in fact their name has to be on it - but an adult must co-sign the policy so the insurance company can hold someone legally responsible. That's just the way it is...whether we like it or not. If you think what I posted is incorrect I suggest you do some independent research on the laws governing the state you live in. And no disrespect meant towards you Phil, but if you had an insurance policy at the age of 16 (as many of us did) there was an adult's signature on it in addition to yours whether you knew it or not.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:32 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'd say leave the title at a TRUSTED friends place & make a mark with a pen on it in a corner or something & photocopy it. That way you have a copy & you can prove side by side it's of the original. Then find someplace to hide the copy, NOT the original. Hide it someplace you can get to without car keys & not in the house. Leave the original safely at a friends place or put it back so they don't suspect it's gone.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by 01BlackBeauty
............... A minor can have a policy issued with their name on it - in fact their name has to be on it - but an adult must co-sign the policy so the insurance company can hold someone legally responsible. That's just the way it is...whether we like it or not. If you think what I posted is incorrect I suggest you do some independent research on the laws governing the state you live in. And no disrespect meant towards you Phil, but if you had an insurance policy at the age of 16 (as many of us did) there was an adult's signature on it in addition to yours whether you knew it or not.
a perfect example of why Canada is better than the US. well........@ least Ontario (can't say 100% about the other Provincial/Territory laws).

j/k.

but seriously, that's a little messed up. and back to the OP's point, regardless of the whole insurance BS, the truck is in his name (according to his story) and therfore, they can not leagally do anything about it.

personally, i don't know how he's put up with their bulls**t so long.

and........you're absolutely right, everyone should know & understand their State/Provincial/territory laws.

Quick Reply: Title/ownership fight... Please help!