Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Virus protection software

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default Virus protection software

Im wondering what software you recommend. I have had norton for the last two years and my subscription is almost up. I havent had any problems with it but I have heard people say its not the greatest. I can renew my subscription for $70. It will cover 3 pc's for a year. So I would be looking to stay around that price range. Dont really want to pay more than $100

Old 08-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

Norton SLOWS down your system b/c its a resource hog. I would recommend Kaspersky for your anti virus needs.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:27 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

look up microsoft security essentials. its free as long as you're running genuine windows. It used to be live one care and I have had it for some time now with no viruses.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
look up microsoft security essentials. its free as long as you're running genuine windows. It used to be live one care and I have had it for some time now with no viruses.
basicly this i been building system for people for years and have used nothing but avg for a while then it got crappy now only use and recommend Microsoft security essentials...best protection is MSE and malware bytes....

Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

i would say AVG but like serrasalmus says, its has got really crappy

IF you know what ur doing i would say no protection and run Hijackthis! but if you want run trendmicro, i used the online scan, worked good

Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm extremely happy with ESET NOD32. Low foot print and cost is not really an issue.

3 PCs for 2 years for just the antivirus is 106.99. 3 PCs with antivirus and their Smart Security is 113.99. Same program for 1 PC for one year is 39.99 and 59.99 respectively.

ESET

Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 AM
wGraves is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used Avast for 5+ years now and never had a single problem with it. They Offer a free and paid version. Had no complaints with the free version. www.avast.com

Old 08-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials. Couple that with smart browsing habits and you should have nothing to worry about.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

Been doing computer repair since I was 13 (5 yrs).

AVG was my favorite for a while but ever since the installer changed its almost impossible to use it on an already infected system.

ESET NOD32 is by far the best I've seen, but it does cost money.

Norton has always been a resource hog and the detection rate isn't anything to brag about.

Mcafee.... No.

Avast has a pretty decent detection rate but I really don't like the interface.

Haven't tried MSE but the previous posts seem to indicate it's good.

But of course the best antivirus is to just don't put yourself in a position to get infected. I personally don't run AV myself and have no virii except for the occasional java virus.