Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Went Exploring

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Starting Member
RolingKCBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
Those huge drums were filled with steel ***** the size of softballs. There is a metal cage in it. Then the drum turns and the ***** tumble against each other and it grinds the clinker into powder. Its very noisy and yes it's a dangerous place to work. There are literally hundreds of places you can injure yourself in one of those plants.

It's a very interesting process how they make cement. That plant is what they call a "wet process". They mix limestone, water and gypsum and some other chemicals together in huge vats and stir it up, this is called "slurry" this slurry is then pumped into huge kilns where it is fired like ceramics. Then those small pieces of clinker are sent to those grinding mills and then put into silos. From there it goes into transport trucks and railcars to silos all over the world.

That's the 10 cent tour of a cement plant.
I have about 5 coffee cans full of those steel ***** the vary from softball size down to dimes they're still alot of steel in the buildings. but no copper or aluminum

Old 12-12-2009, 10:35 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure the place has been stripped of everything usuable.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

As far as stripping goes... just get 2 or 3 meth heads together and they could find crap to sell that would boggle your mind.

As for the urban exploring, those are some awesome sites you guys have just lying around over there. I would love to have places like that to go nose through. Not to pocket crap, just to experience.

and 96chevblazer: we have a pub/brewery/hotel (adult disney land!) out here called McMinnamins. they buy up old propertys and flip them into what ilisted above. One is a former Asylum as well. Very cool atmosphere.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:02 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Wow, great pics!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Starting Member
RolingKCBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sisk
Wow, great pics!

Thanks, its a great place to go and watch the fireworks after the carnival

Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Dito on the great pics.
Thanks for the info 96Blazernut, realy interesting.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Foxxie your quite welcome, there's a lot more that actually goes into the process. I just simplified it down so I wouldn't bore everyone to tears. They add different chemicals to the mixture to produce different types of cement. It might just look like grey mud but there a lot of engineering that goes into it.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road

grey mud...not as fun as brown mud lol..atleast not until it starts hardening...then you're SOL! :P

Old 12-15-2009, 01:41 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
Foxxie your quite welcome, there's a lot more that actually goes into the process. I just simplified it down so I wouldn't bore everyone to tears. They add different chemicals to the mixture to produce different types of cement. It might just look like grey mud but there a lot of engineering that goes into it.
Yeah it's one of those things you don't think of when you go and buy a bag from your local hardware store.